First one with a gun!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tdkahn
coyotehunter

First one with a gun!

Post by tdkahn »

I saw her 450yds from my front door going down a fence row headed East. Grabbed 22-250 and Ky-Yi and crossed the road to sit against a phone pole. Blew call with no results. Next I jumped in the truck and flew around the corner to a neighbor's who said "shoot them all". Set up on the bed of his old junk flat bed truck parked out behind the barn. Saw her coming down same fence row headed East form other side of the fence now. Started calling still no results (20mph wind at a 45 in my face). Lost her in the fence row for a second then see her going back West about 80yds from where I lost her. Didn't see her pass by. I did a loud WOOF and she stopped. My scope was set too low (dumby) and she started to walk again. Adjusted the zoom and gave another Woof, stopped again, broadside facing East. Put the crosshairs just behind her ribs, figuring the wind would drift it behind or into her shoulder. Wrong, good thing she had her head straight in front of her or I would have missed. I got in the truck and drove out to her and ranged where I had been sitting, 250yds on the nose. Farthest shot I've ever killed at, most groundhogs I get are 100-150. Wife was a little mad about blood on "good" jeans, I told her "it'll come out". Now I'm going to attemt to tan the hide (have a kit from Gander Mountain). I know I didn't have propper clothing, but had to hurry to get the shot. Worked out that she was more interested keeping nose to the ground rather than what was going on around her.

Last edited by tdkahn on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: First one with a gun!

Post by lyonch »

Congrats!!! The addiction has started :twisted:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

NICE.. :D :D goota love a long kill in the wind and all the excitment just to get the shot, now your no longer a virgin. :shock: :wink:
a proud member of the "IF" team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

good story, even better pics!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
coyotewacker

Post by coyotewacker »

Congratulations Nice coyote.
It is easier to get new jeans than a nice coyote.Memories forever. Coyotewacker
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Good job and nice unexpected head shot 8)
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
tdkahn
coyotehunter

Post by tdkahn »

Tbush wrote:NICE.. :D :D goota love a long kill in the wind and all the excitment just to get the shot, now your no longer a virgin. :shock: :wink:

Actually I got one 3yrs ago from my treestand with my bow. He broke the arrow and I never did get the broadhead back, -$18.00 coyote.

My wife just brought the laundry upstairs and was impressed that I had got the blood out of my jeans.

Had a major problem while skinner her out. When I had the back legs and half the tail skinned the last half of the tail's hide split off. I got it off the tailbone and might be able to sew it back on. Just wondering how you guys get the whole tailbone out without screwing up the tail, and getting ears out of hide? Also do you cut off the feet at the ankle joint to keep the pads and claws on the pelt? I'm just going to tan it to hang in my basement, but would like to have it turn out decent. I told my wife if I hadn't but a big groove (too big to fix) in the back of her head I probably would have had her mounted. She asked "why to put it out in the garage?" OUCH! :shock:

Thanks for all the comments.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

if you are patient enough, there might be a video coming next fall or maybe sooner on how to skin a coyote :wink:
Chris Lyon

tdkahn
coyotehunter

Post by tdkahn »

Got it fleshed on Monday (took forever on the head) and put the tanning paste on. Thursday I'll scrape the paste and get it oiled. When it's done I'll put up a picture or two.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

tdkahn wrote:Got it fleshed on Monday (took forever on the head) and put the tanning paste on. Thursday I'll scrape the paste and get it oiled. When it's done I'll put up a picture or two.

You should keep track of your cost and let us know what it exactly cost for you to do it. I have a slight idea what it cost you, and you might have been able to send it driectly to a tannery for roughly the same price. Great job on doing it yourself though. I have tanned a few critters before, but i could never make them look the same as the tanneries can with there commercial grade equipment.
Chris Lyon

tdkahn
coyotehunter

Post by tdkahn »

This is the kit I bought 4 years ago at Gander Mountain for $40.00. Says enough to do 2 deer. From the amount of salt-alum I used, I'd guess I could do about 4 coyotes with the kit.
http://www.thetanneryinc.com/complete_h ... g_kit.html
Then there's part of a sheet of plywood I had laying around, 4 cups of flour, 1 lb salt, and TIME (priceless).
So without considering time I'd say I'll have $12-$15 in it.

Guy that does taxidermy down the road charges $75 to tan a coyote and $100 if he ships it to a tannery.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Let us know how it turns out, Take some pics and post
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

You can send a fur by yourself to the tannery, and it will charge you roughly 40-50 dollars at the most. The main reason i send them out, is because they have the machines to thin the leather out and make the pely soft a pliable.
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

USA Fox will tan a hide for about $20 plus shipping and they do a great job. the tail is easy with a tail stripper, pretty cheap to buy. the ears you just cut off at the skull, splitting the ears takes some practice can go pretty quick. I have found that you do not need to pull all the cartleage out. I don't bother with the feet, I just cut them off at the hock.
Coyotes Forever
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i normally use a tail stripper but a guy that used to be a fur buyer showed me how he puts the bone between his first and middle fingers and that is all he uses. he said he has skinned thousands and that works the best for him.