had to break in the .243

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

had to break in the .243

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well Marty and I have called it quits for the most part this season, but we decided we better break in my new rifle with some coyote blood.. The weatherman was calling for 20-30 mph winds which did not bode well for calling :? .. This was not going to stop us from a few early morning stands before the wind was to terrible.

We arrived at our first stand around ten ( a bit late ) as winds were already easily blowing 20 mph. We decided to call a deep ravine to get out of the wind. Marty had been telling me he had been seeing coyotes on the south side of the ravine but i convinced him we should travel a little further to the North to call. We got settled in and I set the foxpro high up in a tree to get some volume out there. I started with our secret sound for about 3 minutes. Nothing was showing. I then hit some distress and marty whispered to me 2 coyotes were charging in quickly, exactly were he told me they have been hanging out. I repositioned my gun and got dialed in on the big male. The female hung up well behind. the Male went out of sight and not ten seconds later appeared 100 yards below us. I decided i would let him come as close as he would and then dispatch him. at 70 yards he froze and I decided to end his late Breakfast. I hit him in the chest and he didnt go far.

Probably the last coyote for us this season. :lol:

also sold the last of our beaver, was a pretty good season for them as well :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: had to break in the .243

Post by lyonch »

Good to hear mitch!!! Nothing better than getting that first dog with a new gun :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

You probably had to buy a new gun cause you shot your barrel out on the other one with all them coyotes you two stacked up this winter. :lol: You guys surely had a season to always remember. Look forward to seeing pictures for next season from you.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good to see you got your .243! Did you get a load worked up for it?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

levi I think he has a good load for it he was taking out gofhers at 150 out to 225 on sunday with it 98% kills we must have shot about 60 rounds of 17 rem. and 30 243 rounds lots of parts laying around when we left good post bud.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Looks like you got that 243 dialed in. How many coyotes did you get this year? What are the pelts going for this year?
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

we took well over a 100 sold most for 10 to 20 in the hole just so happens now tho that they r up to 32 to 35 just add that up one time fur buyers making out like fat cats again i guess thats what u get for not skinning them and holding out
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

snareit wrote:we took well over a 100 sold most for 10 to 20 in the hole just so happens now tho that they r up to 32 to 35 just add that up one time fur buyers making out like fat cats again i guess thats what u get for not skinning them and holding out
You got that right Marty!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great post that will save a few fawns in that area this spring. Can't go wrong with the 243 great all around caliber. Just becasue you guys aren't out calling doesn't mean you can leave the site for the offseason i want hear what you guys are up to.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

who did you sell to over there?
Coyotes Forever
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Fur buyers making out like fat cats again? :? You could always skin,flesh and finish them out and ship to auction? Remember a fur buyer has alot more riding on fur than anyone who sales to a buyer or auction house, they wait alot longer for their money and have alot more risk as well in many cases.
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

hmmm. Our fur buyer DID make out like a fat cat. he even told me :D .. I just didnt have the means to put up all of our coyotes. to many coyotes no enough time and space to do so. But Yes the furbuyer did very very well..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

there like used car salesmen.
Coyotes Forever