any one else having problems??

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyote 22-250
coyotehunter

any one else having problems??

Post by Coyote 22-250 »

A buddy of mine and I have been out hunting the past few weekends and have really worked our a$$es off and only 2 coyotes. every where we go there are tracks all over scat, ect.. one day we would howl, the next day just distress, and one of the two was coming in and held up some cattails and never did commit and come in, till my cousin walked over to the slough and saw him sittin on his ass 15yds in and smoked him, and the other coyote we got was driving from one sit to the next and he was bound and determinded to cross the road but it wasn't his day. Just curious what other guys have been doing and the luck they have been having!!! we thought with this cold weather it would really put them in gear to eat something but????
thanks in advance guys!!! good luck hunting!!!

Matt
Matt Monson

A.K.A Goose Bandit
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

sorry can't say that i have been having bad luck lately. In the past two tournaments levi and i called in 12 coyotes and saw one out the truck when we were driving from stand to stand. all we used were distress calls cause it was so cold. Howling form now until beginning of march is going to start getting effective i think. Sorry to hear about the bad luck :(
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

my luck hasn't been too good either. the last couple days of hunting not much but I have seen a ton of tracks. I am not sure where they are at. the only thing I can figure is they are traveling alot now and you just have to be in the right place at the right time.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Have you been doing any locating prior to calling? (Siren, howling, etc.)Coyotes don't move much when it is cold out. How long are you on stand for? How far are you walking in from the road? How long are you staying in a area that you are finding tracks? Are you making one stand and leaving or are you working through the whole area?
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

we haven't been doing any locating. usually 25 to 30 minutes for each stand. we try to get off the road as much as possible. we have a lot of snow so we go as far as we can. there are stands that are just one try but most of the time we have been working an area. working in a circle back to the pickup. it seems to be working the best. I found a spot yesterday that had rabbit tracks all around, it was a pretty good depression with some small bushes, etc... I bet I found 3 or 4 pair of coyote tracks. and really recent. I would guess in the last 12 hours or so. I also found blood in one spot. What are the odds that they will visit that site again soon?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You may try locating coyotes either an hour or two prior to sun up or right after sun down. There are a ton of opinions when is the best time to do this but if you take the time to start locating coyotes in the area you are calling you will start to see where they are spending their time. If in your area they are only moving at night you may have to locate where they are bedding down in the middle of the day. You may want to drop one of you off for a couple of hours allowing yourself time to move through the area you believe the coyotes to be holding in and try to locate them on foot. Use your optics and move slow in the low spots. calling every 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so or so until you either see them or hear them. This may mean several miles of walking at each location.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I was out setting snares yesterday and did a little calling had one show up at the 32 minute mark after a lot of howling and vocalizations he never made a peep. Showed up where i had to move too much to get the shot and slipped back over the hill no shot :evil: Vocalizations should start working better now. Had two more that i got into a yelling match with but they just wouldn't come out into the open and i was short for time :cry:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

that sucks. tough to get them to come out and fight some times.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well my buddy Derek and I both got the day off for this Friday to do a two day hunt out in Central ND. Looks like the wind is going to be blowing hard. Isn't that how it goes? Two weeks of cold cold temps hardly any wind and then when you make plans it all goes downhill. :roll:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The Coyote Gods aren't happy with you.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

LOLOLOL that is about right
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Have you thought about going out west so that you can get out of the wind in the canyons in the Badlands?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Windy days make it tough to call coyotes in! In my opinion this has been horrible winter for coyote hunting. The begining of the year it was extremely warm, then it finally got cold but it always seemed to be windy out. Hopefully these last few weeks the weather can cooperate enough to get some more good hunting in.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Levi

It does seem like that is how it has gone this year.

Brad

I don' tknow about going out to teh Badlands. I haven't been there enough to know places to hunt. We have some areas planned out that we want to call.
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

I go to college out in Dickinson and have access to quite a bit of land southwest of Dickinson in the Amidon area. I think I have some good stand locations although this is sorta my first winter calling coyotes. I would like to go calling with someone who is expierenced once and learn from them. You bring the expierence, I have some badlands.