Great idea or stupid??? you decide

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

Great idea or stupid??? you decide

Post by jaybic »

Hey guys,

Im just gonna bounce and idea off ya'll that a buddy of mine posed to me and I think he is FOS. Heres the idea:

When out scouting for the NDCC, get out and walk out to the stands so

A: you can time yourself in current conditions(snow depth...distance out to the stand...that sort of thing) so you can maximize your time. AND:

B:pick out the exact spot to sit down at so you dont end up walking out to a stand and standing around like a dumbass going "no, maybe is should be just over there instead of here" only to walk "over there" and find out you should have stayed where you were at. You guys know what I am talking about when your looking for that PERFECT spot to sit down, with a good view, no low spots for sneaky coyotes to use...blah...blah...blah.

C: look for a better/new place to sit on the same stand that has produced coyotes consistantly in the past. He is worried that sitting under the same tree every year will wise them up.

I see no sense in any of this IMHO because I think it is monumental stupidity to walk into our stands in the days preceding the contest and bumping coyotes and leaving our scent all over the place. I understand the ideas he has but I believe it is just WAY to risky and will just ruin otherwise perfectly good stands.

The reason that i post this is that maybe he has some good points and I am just no seeing them so I am trying to be objective and give his ideas the benefit of the doubt so I thought I would put this out there and maybe learn something from more accomplished and sucessfull callers that the two of us and end this little tactical disagreement that we have going on.

Whatcha guys think?

Later fellas,

Jaybic
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Great idea or stupid??? you decide

Post by LeviM »

In my opinon "B" is not a bad idea. I wouldnt do it the day before the hunt, and I know you guys get out there a week or two early, so I would perosnally be looking for hills to sit on that can maximize my view for areas that you are not familiar with. Go in, look it over and get out. It can really make your day hunt more effient.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

A. sounds like making it way to hard. not to mention spooking coyotes. i dont think i will ever be organized enough to do something like this even if i thought it would be beneficial

B. seems to be a good idea but do it well ahead of the hunt weeks or months before. i hunt large areas of land and have rarely used the same stand twice. mostly because i have to always go try new areas. but several times from the road i have seen what looked like a good stand only to go over there and realize i should head back to the truck because it would be a waste of time to call there.

C. looking for a better spot to hide is a good idea. i wouldnt do it for the fact of wising up coyotes though. but say you have used the same stand for a few years and coyotes consistantly come from a certain draw, ditch, fenceline, brushline, rock formations, or anything in the landscape. if you have figured out where they come from you can set up to get hidden better and or better shooting opportunities.

just my thoughts on it
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

All fine a dandy, but then throw the wind factor in the mix and the whole thing changes..........

How pissed will you be when you go get a plan, spend all your time scouting the right stand, and have the perfect place picked out to sit. Then come over the top of the hill and there is BnB's truck sitting there and he beat you to your spot...... Or better yet he's draggin one out as you guys pull up......

Have a plan, but be flexable.........
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. :D

We always have a backup plan and these are areas we have hunted for 8 years or so. I just really think its a bad idea to go changing stands that have been pretty good producers in years past and I think that walking into stands in the 2-5 days prior to the contest and risking bumping coyotes and leaving footprints and scent all over is a really, really bad idea. I dont think that the potential gains are worth the risk of educating coyotes that your going to try and call and kill a few days later. If your going to try and kill "the big buck" you sure as hell dont go stagger around in his bed room 2 days before the opening day of deer season. You scout from a distance IMHO and your best chance to kill him is the first time you hunt that stand.

Maybe coyote hunting is different I suppose but I bet Les Johnson does not walk into all his stands in the week prior to the Nationals just to check them out and risk wising up those coyotes but I sure could be wrong too I guess. My buddy thinks its a good idea and I think its crazy but I am just looking for other, more qualified opinions to back up my position.

Thanks again for any and all ideas fellas. Thats why I posted this here. because this is where people that know what they're talking about hang out. :D

Later fellas,

Jaybic
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

All of the stands Marty and I hunt in tourneys we have killed atleast 5+ coyotes at in the last few years.. So Its not needed for us.. Besides I think staying out until its time to take them out is your best bet.. And also I only change The spot I call from if Im hunting the same spot lets say a few weeks after My last visit. and even then I usually dont.. What will change for me is the sounds I use.. Usually something completely different they have not heard.. Seems to work well for us. Obviously also I will change my stand location depeding the the wind.. :roll: .. But as far as those " Cherry " spots I like to stay out completely tell its time to call them up.. Just what seems to work for me.
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Jaybic there is nothing wrong with scouting but I dont think walking in is the way to do it. I know there are stands that thats the only way to get to them but I think driving in and out of them is the best way. When the wind is wrong or maybe just blowing to hard or we are just getting a non responsive day, Trevor and I will spend alot of time just driving around and looking at spots and gameplanning. We have had way more success at the spots that we have scouted and we don't even have to wisper about it on the way in. People walking around is a lot spookier to a coyote than a pickup bouncing around in my country at least, just for the simple fact that its ranch ground, people putting out salt and feeding cows, fixing fence ext. There use to rigs. We've drove into a spot to take a look and called it the next morning and had success on several occasions. It could be entirely different were your from so take what I say with a grain a salt.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I scout the hell out of my coyotes. I think it is a great idea to know exactly where you are goig to sit on each stand or at least the general location. When I decide I am going to kill a coyote out here I typically know exactly where I am going to do it. I would not typically go into a spot blind. if you know were youyr coyotes are you have less chance of making screw ups. YOu can only do that by getting on the ground and looking at the country. the less time you waste, the more coyotes your on, and minimize the missed shots and oppurtunities the better off you are going to be. I know on a map the route we are going to take, the spots we are going to call in each area.........the wind of course will make some changes but you need to kow the area you are going to call. if you have called it int he past and it a good producer then stay out of there but I would not want to just go running in there the morning of and have that b the first time that I have looked at the country.
Coyotes Forever
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

jaybic Great idea you should try it and let us know how it works :mrgreen: I,m making scare crows to set up on your/our spots :shock: :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Tbush, how bout you and I team up and we can ruin our spots together. I'll go in one side just pokin' around and you shoot all of them that come running out the otherside. Make sure you sit down before you start shooting tho, you and I both know how well it went for ya standing up. Oh yes, and I'll were orange too. If my stragedy works out, you and I should win it all this year....at least as long as they have a contest called the North Dakota Stupidity Classic. I dont know about you but I am a shoe-in for sure on that one. :D

Seriously, tho, I'm not nuts right??? poking around on proven stands just days prior to the NDCC IS dumb right????

I suppose if we're driving around and find a tasty looking spot or howl some up, we could sneak out and find a good stand and check it out if its a totally new spot but post-holing out to proven stands just so we can get there faster on contest day in deep snow(using our own tracks.....another one of his time saving theories) just sounds like a VERY bad idea to me IMHO.

Anyway, feel free to keep the opinons coming exept you Tbush, you and I, we already got a strategy worked out(see above).

And NO, I am not retared!

Entirely. :D

Later muchachos,

Jaybic( one half of Team Stupid)

P.S. Sorry about the name Tbush. If you dont want to be part of TS, I guess I'll bring my buddy and his good ideas. Hell, I got a 10 hour ride out to talk him out of some of them.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

See, I told you guys I was stupid and nobody believed me. I just denied being retarded and spelled it wrong. See above post for yourselves. I was gonna edit it but it was too funny.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

:lol:
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Coyotehunter wrote::lol:
x1 :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

:lol: thanks for the morning giggle Jaybic!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

WTF is the world of coyote huntin coming too :lol: :lol: stupid is what stupid does
a proud member of the "IF" team