We had the Itch for a few... 2 stands 2 dogs...

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

We had the Itch for a few... 2 stands 2 dogs...

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well I have been away for quite a while, Working full Time and now starting college has really kept me busy.. But Marty and I are getting ourselves tuned up for the quickly approaching predator season. We decided this morning to Head out for a few early morning stands before the wind and heat were too high!

We Met at Martys at 7:00 am and headed to an area we Dont hunt much during our Prime months.

1st stand - We get set up overlooking a huge Pasture basin area, with some brush draws intermingled. The spot just screamed coyote.. I started with our secret sound on and off for 10 minutes with no interested customers. I scrolled through the foxpro remote and landed on my pup distress sound. As soon As I hit it a Large coyote popped up from a draw at around half a mile. Marty spotted him instantly ( Not surprising ) but this coyote would NOT commit. He slowly walked to left and started skirting our location. Right at that moment I looked to my left and there stands a coyote at 150 yards. I lipsqueak Marty to let him know about our visitor. It didnt take much after that, a few lip squeaks later our first dog of the season is down.. :)

old male, fooled! I was breathing pretty heavy after draggin this dog back up the hill we were on.. I may as well get in shape now, Ill be needing it in another month and a half :)

After walking back to the truck we head to a farmers house to ask for some permission up behind his place, he said go right ahead and thats all we needed. We were off!!

We set up on a high knoll overlooking a dam and some pine draws. I started off with The secret sound and IMMEDIATELY marty lip squeaks me to let me know of a double approaching from his side.. I forgot how much I love that sound!! I played it on and off as the coyotes slowly approached. We both soon realized it was an adult female and a pup together. The pup ran way out ahead of the wiley old female and was soon at 75 yards standing below us. I knew what Marty was thinking, He wanted to kill them both! The female was at 250 coming very slow. Marty tried to make a move with his gun and the Pup spotted him! He began leaving out and marty ruined his day.. 150 yards Marty rolls him with a nice shot. He DEFINATELY still has it!. The female high tailed it out of there, But the damage is done. The foxpro, with a mixture of coyote sounds from my Tony Tebbe calls fooled this one. :)

The guy can shoot like none other..!

Good warmup for the season!!!
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Re: We had the Itch for a few... 2 stands 2 dogs...

Post by Critrgtr »

Glad to see you guys haven't lost your knack. Good way to start off the season, thats for sure.
But I am thinking that since we all are part of the coyotehunter.net family you should really tune us in on that elusive sound you have. :wink: I have been so busy this summer I havent hardly even had a chance to look at my guns let alone go out and play with them. Hopefully the honeydo list slows down when the snow starts to fly.
Congrats on the first ones of the season. Keep em coming. I always look forward to your posts.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great post. love the pics and details of each stand.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

way to go guys! Mitch what school are you attending this fall? More sudying, less hunting...LoL thats why I am paying 5 years of college for a 2 year degree :(
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Williston State Levi.. My schedule actually is pretty decent. I will have a good amount of free time 8) ..

Thanks guys..
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

mitchkvernum wrote:Williston State Levi.. My schedule actually is pretty decent. I will have a good amount of free time 8) ..

Thanks guys..
Good to hear!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

good job bud love to read your stuff
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Mitch you sure that's a pup?? Looks awful big and old haired, how did you come to the conclusion that it was Momma or did you just assume that? I am curious because it would be very unusual for me to see a pup lead in this time of year, not unheard of just unusual. In Oct. Nov you see the adults hold back and let them come to distress but usually not this early.
Randy Roede
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

when i first saw them the little one was jumping on the other big dog running around it and licking at its mouth just assumed its action where that of a pup i told mitch i think it is a pup may not be but one thing is for sure tho it is dead lol
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

Randy when we looked at its teeth they where very sharp like a pup may not have been tho
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

I see Marty, I used to get more pups with adults this time of year but for the last 3-4 years i have seen it drop off to virtually none so i was curious.

You are right, one thing for sure is it's dead and you are doing a great job of mentoring a good kid!!!

Can't say for sure Marty but again usually the pup teeth this time of year are the adult canines coming in and they are usually short and tend to be blunt if the have any length and pointed it may have been an adult. Prey distress calls could trigger an agressive early pup and coyote distress will usually reverse that reaction and you will have the results of the stand when the old male was killed and possibly a pup or pups watchin from afar. Did that coyote even stay around after the shot, pups usually do.

Anyhow your doing a good thing there Marty!!
Randy Roede
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great job guys!!! Keep up the good work :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Pretty positive its a pup.. The way it came to the call and acted reminded me an awful lot of a younger pup.. Seemed pretty worry free as well.. It was almost like the Older dog ( female I assumed ) wasnt wanting to come in but the younger dog kept pulling her closer. Also the pic makes it look quite a bit bigger than it is.. was a pretty darn small dog. He stood below us for the longest time while the older dog hung up.. We were in pretty good view, I think maybe the older dog was a bit suspicious. the Pup sure wasnt :lol: thats why he is dead.
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

Randy good info learned some things thier ty
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

another good indicator I use a lot from the plane is the tip of the tail. Typically your pups will have a black tip and the adults will have a white tip. Randy is right about the teeth. Alot of your spring of the year coyotes will have there milk teeth just behind the adult canines as they start to come in. You will not see full canines on pups typically this time of year.
Coyotes Forever