2 stands a dead dog.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

2 stands a dead dog.

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well, My dad wanted to sneak out for an afternoon of grouse hunting which sounded like some fun, But definately also a chance for me to peel off after some coyotes!.. After a few hours of walking for grouse we picked up our last bird for our limit. The winds were pretty dang high but I definately knew I could still trick a coyote if I could sneak into his living room.. I pointed out some pasture to my dad were I would like to call.. Its definately nice hunting with my dad, mainly because its like a personal taxi 8) , he will take me from stand to stand and be perfectly content to sit in the truck on his blackberry :lol: .. He drops me off and into the pasture I go.. I have never called this area but it look veryyyy promising... I set up on a knoll overlooking rolling pasture with some cows grazing.. In one word... Perfect..

I hit the rabbit in distress and not 10 seconds in a coyotes is BOMBING his way directly at me.. I readied my .243 and gave him a " yip... yip.... yip... HEY.... HEY YOU... STOP...." This coyote was on a mission... I quickly turned my scope down to its lowest power and took an instinctive running shot..... at 7 yards. :lol: .. the bullet hit perfect and the coyote was sent into a series of cartwheels up to the base of the foxpro.. :lol: .. I forgot how awsome it was to see a pale dog coming across a pasture right to my call.. nothing like it.. Bring on another season!

EO caller

Re: 2 stands a dead dog.

Post by EO caller »

7 Yards? Might be time to pack a scatter gun Mitch :lol:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The fur is really starting to come around there mitch :wink: Keep up the great work!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

ata boy bud
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

whats the fur looking like? looks like its filling in some.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Fur looks realllly good.. I was very surprised.. Its not going to be long until im skinning.. Thanks guys
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I picked one up by Mayville yesterday, pup and they look like crap. Adults look better. Course it is by MN where they look like crap anyhow. ;)

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

xdeano wrote:I picked one up by Mayville yesterday, pup and they look like crap. Adults look better. Course it is by MN where they look like crap anyhow. ;)

xdeano
LOL so sad but true!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good work!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

xdeano wrote:I picked one up by Mayville yesterday, pup and they look like crap. Adults look better. Course it is by MN where they look like crap anyhow. ;)

xdeano
YES,YES. shot 3 pups this a.m. and all had mange. seen 1 adult that looked like a rat
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I missed one at 752 yards and another at 833.......................yes that was as close as they would get........thanks for making me feel like a loser Mitch. :mrgreen:
Coyotes Forever
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

Its a whole different feeling when they come charging in like that and get right up in your face huh. Gotta love it. :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:I missed one at 752 yards and another at 833.......................yes that was as close as they would get........thanks for making me feel like a loser Mitch. :mrgreen:
you better check you scope!!! not like you too miss two in day!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Coyotehunter wrote:I missed one at 752 yards and another at 833.......................yes that was as close as they would get........thanks for making me feel like a loser Mitch. :mrgreen:
were you not using your ballistic charts? :o
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

2 days apart............the 752 I have a 20mph cross wind at least were I was standing, holding 100 inches for drift or so. I have 2500 sheep on a ranch up in the mountains with something like 15 guard dogs. some coyotes up there but they dogs warm them up all the time. slipped in thruugh the rocks to a big valley and set up the CS24 with the ground hog distress. He was sleeping in the grass about 450 in front of me in, I didn't know he was that close until he stood up. There are some cows up there with the sheep that were all around him. He got up and immediatly started to leave. That was the only shot I had, tough up there with the plane as well. they head straight for the timeber when I show up. His som inlaw has a jet ranger and works on them. The dogs do a real good job up there. I got close and should not have shot. he looked like a praire dog trying to figure out what had happened. with the wind and the distance he seen the dust fly but that was aobut it. just walked over the ridge. the 833 I could not find him in the range finder, had to pick something close with the my scope and then try to find that spot with the range finder. I was off on the range a bit and I had just a slight breeze in my face but must have had some cross wind down were he was. No grass or trees to judge the wind. Ground hog distress again. which I have real good luck with in the moutains. He seen something he did not like once he broke over that ridge. I had the sun on me and no place to really get out of the open. walked a ways in there and just tried to make it work. could have caught a glare off of my watch or even the face of the remote if you hold it right. the road was up a ways behind me, guys like to call back there from the road and take shots at them when they hit the timber line. I got close but no cigar. real close. but again...a miss. I was just at the range shooting 600 yard gongs and was over confident. I don't do much work up there and was not on a trouble call really just wanted to do some calling .
Coyotes Forever