Howling in a female

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Howling in a female

Post by EO caller »

A buddy of mine called and said that his grandma had seen a coyote in her yard first thing in the morning. I told him I'd give it a toot and see what happens. I started in the prone position only because I was in the middle of a stubble field(I usually sit because I'm running the camera but was by myself this time). Did a little distress and layed there for about 20 minutes and nothing. I sat up and figured I'd do a little howling to locate. I let out a little female interragation and in 10 seconds I see a coyote pop up about 800 yards out in the stubble. She comes in to about 300 yards and sits down. Looking right at me. She starts barking and howling and I couldn't decide if it was a warning bark or a challenge howl. I slowly grab my Dakota Howler :twisted: and give her a little challenge howl and bingo,,,dead run right for me. She gets up to about 150 yrds and stops and turns sideways,,, :shock: she figured out I wasn't a coyote I guess. Bang. Dead coyote. :twisted: Really nice female. Go's to show, it doesn't hurt to howl this time of year. 8)
Howledin female.jpg
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Re: Howling in a female

Post by mitchkvernum »

Nice lookin dog..! EO I lay prone on about 90% of stands when im with marty.. And he sits on his but forr 100 % of our stands.. I guess we just do what works for us..

If im by myself I have to sit up to see everything.. But I LOVE prone!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Since I do all my calling with open reed calls i sit on my butt. I guess I am to fat because I run out of air laying on my belly when I'm calling. :oops: If I would have stayed on my belly I think this coyote would have came right into my kitchen though.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

it took me all last year to get use to laying prone, it really has helped me with long distance shots. Close up shots I have no problem sitting.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

Nice looking coyote. Good to hear that the howling worked for you this time of year.
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Fun, huh! Nice work bringing her in, I have had trouble bringing them across open spaces.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good work. It's always nice when they come across something that is that wide open so you can watch them. I use to love calling them across the ice on sloughs in ND especially at night under a full moon!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Is that the Nikon Coyote Special scope? Nice shootin'!
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

1Shooter wrote:Is that the Nikon Coyote Special scope? Nice shootin'!
Yes it is 1 Shooter.
PG its cool to get to watch them come in like that especially because it teaches you to read them better. Like this coyote probly saw me but couldn't tell what I was but when I made the vocalization it figured that I must be a coyote. But when she turned sideways all the sudden after coming in about 200 more yards I knew the gig was up and I better get to flinging lead. I've seen a dog show up from nowere and do that and made a lip squeak and they bail. Probly had me figured out long before I even saw it.
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

How do you like that scope?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

1Shooter wrote:How do you like that scope?
I'm not really sold on it just yet 1shooter. I'm having trouble with the standing shots. I can hit em running though. :twisted: Just having a hard time centering the little circles on the standing shots. :x
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Simple fine duplex is the way to go IMO. Its not complicated, hold dead on and call it good.... Hold over is just guessing, use your turrets and aim center-mass :)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I like a big and little duplex, thick bars are easy to see on running shots, thin ones are great for still shots. I have bullet drop compensator knobs, but have not used them to know how to!