did a little calling..

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

did a little calling..

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well Saturday and Sunday Marty and I made it out for some early morning stands and spent the rest of the hours doing some scounting around.. Here were a few of the highlight stands.. :) .

Actually on Friday Night a buddy of mine that was back from college for the weekend wanted to sneak out for a last minute stand.. We packed up in my truck and headed out close to town to our " Honey hole" This spot is literally a guaranteed coyote the first time you hit it each october.. The problem is that they can come from alot of different directions so the hard part is getting them killed! Anyways I simply brought in my beretta 12 gauge auto to watch the back door while ryan had the rifle directed at the most likely area.. We set up in a rockpile in the middle of a stubble field.. The stubble is bordered by rolling pasture and a creek bottom.

I started off with some low rabbit crys off and on.. After ten minutes I hit the secret sound and suddenly heard something to my right thrashing through the stubble field. I looked out of the corner of my eye and a coyote was chargeing in right to the call.. I slowly lifted my shotgun and sent the coyote into a series of cartwheels at 60 yards. The 4-buck is tough on the dogs out to that range!!! .. Nice male coyote.

Saturday morning Marty and I slipped out for a few quick stands. Our second stand of the morning found us facing 25 mph winds. definately not ideal. We set up SUPER CLOSE to were we thought a coyote would be sleeping in a small pasture. A few minutes in a coyote is coming in slowly. It was actually so windy he had to aim his ears and head high into the air to try to pick up were the sound was coming from. :lol: .. He tried to circle but we had that taken care of... Marty Dropped him at 75 yards.

With the wind the way it was we decided to head out and do some scouting and talk to some landowners areund the area. Right at dark we tried one more set and picked up a nice little female coyote.. O and on the way back a few "bonus birds" tempted my shotgun!!!!

On sunday we decided to sneak out for a few early morning stands before it got warm on us.. We spotted a coyote out mousing in field. Marty dropped me off on the road to go put the sneak on him. I snuck in on him to around 500 yards and gave a few squeaks.. I turned to my left and all of the sudden 2 coyotes came chargeing over the hill at me. I quickly adjusted and dropped the bigger of the two.. This dog was a monster! I could barely lift him.

We pickup up one more dog on the way into a stand, and decided to call it good for the day..

Image..

All in all a good weekend..

Hope ya enjoyed...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: did a little calling..

Post by lyonch »

That is one big dog you shot :shock: Looks like you guys had a good weekend!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Whooo! that is a large one! Nice shooting!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

thats a big dog, looks like your struggling alittle holding it up!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Levi, I was! he was a big dog.!!! I actually lined both of them up in my sights, Trying to get two in one shot.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thats a biggun nice going. did you get him on a scale?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

That is a big one. I second what Prairie Ghost asked about the scale?
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Didnt get a chance to weigh him! But Marty and I have actually killed a few coyotes in the 48-5 lbs. range and we estimated this coyote right around 50 lbs.