Scopes - 2 questions

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pilgrim

Re: Scopes - 2 questions

Post by Pilgrim »

And another thing:

I meant to include/ ask if a time trial is part of the shooting events at the VHA range?

To Jeff R, Tim A, others... If so (shooting multiples), are you able to notice a difference in shooting proficiency according to caliber, scope power, etc?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][To Jeff R, Tim A, others... If so (shooting multiples), are you able to notice a difference in shooting proficiency according to caliber, scope power, etc?/quote]

When I first started hunting fox I had most of my rifles set up with 6.5-20x scopes and in the early years most of my fox where sniped and the 20x really helped on long shots. Later on I got into calling fox and coyotes and found the 20x to be too much and the 6.5x not enough for some situations. I was in the market for a new scope so I tried the Super sniper scope with fixed 10x and 30mm tube. With the 30 mm tube it makes it a little easier for me to pick up a target weather running or standing still. The 10x is a happy medium and seems to work well for me on singles or multiples, called in or snipeing.
As for cal. question I find it easier and quicker for me to get on target if I'm useing one of my 17 cal. vrs. 22-250ackley.
When I did the Mr. Coyote contest I was useing my 20x47 Lapua with a 4-14X with 1" tube, and It was a little tuffer to get onto the next target due to a little more recoil and 1" tube. Thank God the rifle and bullet where doing there job when I squeezed the trigger. We were only allowed 5 seconds to get on target and shoot once the target number was pulled from the hat and the moveing coyote target had to be shot twice on the same run.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

when I used to shoot league, i did a lot of practicing with a .22 LR and a .17 HMR. cheap ammo and no recoil. A bunch of the guys I shot with did the same thing.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

smaller caliber less recoil target acquistion is better i don't think anyone is going to dispute that one. Finding what you can find your targets in and shoot acurately is the key. Power of scope i thing is highly debateble and changes with EVERY person.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

No doubt the lower power is going to help you get on target quicker and you can still "hit" a target at 300 yds or more with that setting.. But I like to be more precise on where the bullet is going to hit and kill my animal with the first shot.(aim small miss small)