Scopes - 2 questions

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pilgrim

Scopes - 2 questions

Post by Pilgrim »

For all of you that hunt on snow and open spaces:

I have 2 questions about your hunting preferences and how it relates to the scope on your go-to coyote rig.

1. If you HAD TO limit youself to a single magnification, what would it be?

My answer is 6X considering that's where I either like to be when it happens, or where I wish I was before I screwed up.

2. Assuming most use scopes with variable magnification, what is the range?

Mine is 4-16X.

My primary intent here is to learn how many have variables that max around 20X - 24X.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Scopes - 2 questions

Post by Prairie Ghost »

12 power that is what i started with and have always done most of my shooting on called coyotes.

6.5x20 and a 4x12
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I use 6.5-20X for fox and 4-14X or fixed 10X for coyotes....
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

if it had to be fixed it would be 8x

I run a 6.5x20x40 M4
also like the 4.5x14x40 but only have that on my .30-06
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

6-18x on my "go to" gun.

6.5-20x on my big gun.

Im always on the highest power. Ive never had a problem with target acquisition so Ive never had issue with being "over powered". I also feel, scratch that, I KNOW I can develop a much more precise sight picture on the higher powers.

The once or twice a year I night hunt, ill drop down to 10x. I dont think ive ever shot much at all on the lower powers, paper targets or live ones.

If I could only have one power, it'd probably be 10 or 12x.

My girlfriend has some target acquisition problems we're trying to work out. I put a 3-9x on her rifle for the time being (mostly just because thats what I had laying around).
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I have a 4x12 and always leave it on 12x
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

The scope on my primary coyote rifle is a 4.5x14x40 with a varmint hunter reticle and it stays on 4.5. I also have a 6x18, a 3.5x10 and a 3x9 and I generally always keep them on the lowest power. The big field of view allows me to watch a coyote come in without having to shift my rifle too much because the coyote moves out of the field of view at higher powers and also so if I have one show up quick and close, I am not "searching" for him too much. It also helps with target aquisition on the 'runners" which in some cases are running because I missed them standing still (because I dont have my scope turned up maybe? boy, bet I sound dumb now). On the other hand, this might be more of a Minnesota type tactic where we don't have the sheer "bigness" that is in ND and the western states. A long shot around here is 400 yards, IF you can even see that far due to brush and just the smaller terrain. I have been burnt by having it up too high in the past.

Jaybic
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

4-12X50 for me and i usually leave it on 4 power because i when a coyote comes in close out of nowhere i like to be able to see the whole body in the scope instead of just a body part. If a coyote is out there beyond what i use 4 power for or they are coming in slow, i will then crank it to 12 before i shoot.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

4x12x42. usually have mine on 8x. if only 1 power scope i think i'd go an 8x
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

6x18x40, and 6.5x20x40 I always leave my scopes turned all the way down for calling. The only time I crank my scopes up is when I have to reach out and touch one that has held up or I have snuck up on and can't get any closer without being busted. As far as a fixed power scope goes, I don't think I would even consider buying one as I can't see a use for one unless you were planning on going to Africa on safari. Unless you were looking at a New Mark4 with a Tactical Milling Reticle, then I'd say a 10x.
Don"t start something you can't finish!!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

8X if it was a fixed power, mine is 6x20, 50mm aob, Redfield Illuminator
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks to all for reponding.
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

6 it what i leave mine on all the time
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have 4x12 leupolds on my .204, .22-.250 AI and .22-6mm. They all stay on 12x
Coyotes Forever
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Personal observation to share - Food for thought:

I'll own two 204 rifles until I sell my 700. Been shooting both and swapping out different new & old 10X & 16X max variable scopes. I settled on packaging a VIII 3.5-10X on my 700, zeroing, and putting away until it sells. Now all I've been doing is shooting my CZ @ prone off a 10-13" bipod at random distances 100-400 yds, 4" clay pigeons, shooting multiples in a time limit, figuring distances according to mil reticle... Fun stuff! What I discovered quickly is I'm considerably more proficient at 10X (and less at shorter distances), and bust or group the longer 400 distances just as quickly (acquisition) and easily at 10X than I am with 16X. Moreso when shooting quick multiples.

Another discovery is the 204 (in CZ varmint weight) compared to my daughter's 243 or any greater cal. Shooting multiples with a 204 versus more recoil is night & day. The next target is always readily visible/ in clear view compared to the momentary obscurity caused by recoil.