I put some fur down.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

I put some fur down.

Post by mitchkvernum »

Today I decided College could take a break for a day So I could get out and do a little solo calling!! . Really its never as fun when Marty is not with, but I still have a blast out by myself. I fired up "ol' whitey" ( My Ford Ranger ) And headed out from the house at 6:00 a.m. I had a good hour drive ahead of me and I wanted to be settled in to my first call as the sun peaked over the horizon. :)

I decided on a large pasture with brush piles intermingled throughout. In my head I knew there was a 95% chance of me calling in a coyote on this set. It was just picture perfect. I hit the secret sound right off the bat and paused. 5 minutes in I had 2 pairs and a single coming from different directions. Life is goo.... not so fast. All of the sudden the coyotes all turn tail head in the opposite direction. HUH??? I look to my immediate left and spot ol' rancher john coming to check his cows in his ford...! Arghh!!! It was too perfect. I pack up my gear and head to the next stand..

After a couple surprising dry stand I decided to head to an overgrazed cattle pasture that had good sign coming in on the road ( scat ) .. Instead of carrying the foxpro in I decided to get back to my roots :lol: . I only bring in my handcalls. More specifically My Tebbe overdose, and newly acquired Orion Open reed! After 15 minutes of rabbit distress with no takers I decide ill try 2-3 interrogation howls. I literally had not taken the howler out of my mouth when I see dust flying, In front of it a pair of coyotes coming full tilt. The female led the way and got the worst end of the deal. She checked up at 30 yards and ate a 60 grain hollow point. The male Ducked for cover and never did present a shot.

The stand. ( They came from the furthest hill on the horizon! )

The customer.!

I loaded up the dog, and head to a new area to do a little exploring :) . My favorite! After A little bit of driving I spot a Hill that looks like it will give me the perfect vantage point over a very large pasture! I put some leather to the ground and 10 minutes Later Im settled in against a fence post, wind in my face, Rolling hills below me, Couldnt think of anywere else I would rather be at that moment! I decide to give the ol' sceery bite reed a run in this round. I played two series on the call when I spot a white ghost approaching across the pasture. Talk about a B-E-A-utiful sight! The dog came on a string and at 100 yards I sent him into the death spin.. If you ever want to look at a gorgeous male coyote, now is the time..

Ok sweet! The big male coyote just made my day! Anything after this point is just icing on the cake. I Do a little more exploring and find another good area were some coyotes should be hiding out from the now 15 mph winds.. After 2 dry stand I decided I will call closer to some cover.. For this stand I throw on the backpack and tote in the foxpro and my new BEST friend the sp-55 speaker :). The thing makes the ground shake! I love it for the windy days! I decided on some lightning jack to reach out and bring the dogs in! As soon as I start the call a coyote pokes his head out of some brush 50 yards below me. I center the crosshairs and knock him down. Suddenly A second coyote pokes his head out and also recieves a 60 grain bullet to the braincage.. Sweet! A double! Due to the high winds the second dog didnt realize how close the shot was.

I make the drag back the truck and get some shots of another big pale!, and a smaller browny :).

After a few more dry stands and some more exploring I decide to head for the house.. It was a good day! :).
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: I put some fur down.

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Wow those two males are gorgeous!!! Way to go now get to studying! I spent a lot of money on college and let calling coyotes get in the way.....however now i do hunt for a living 8)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

atta boy bud hell of a good job the story makes me fill like i was sitting right there with you
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Lol, good stuff Mitch!! I remember when college got in the way of coyote hunting!! Still paying for it today, but the memories are priceless!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

heh thanks guys, Its supposed to cool down this weekend, if winds stay low it should be a fun time :D ..
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

them pales are looking niceeeeeeeeeeeeee :D ............
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Thanks Bucks.!. They sure are :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great job mitch!!! Those are some pretty males you shot :D I remember the days when levi and i would skip class and then help each other make up excuses on why we weren't in class :lol: :lol: Like levi said i am still paying for it as well, so in the long run it wasn't worth it money wise, but the memories are something that can't be taken away now!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Haha yes! I dont miss many classes, so It was pretty much exusable. :D ..
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Nice job on the coyotes Mitch, and remember Mark Twain (I believe thats who said it but I could be wrong) said it best.
"Never let school get in the way of a good education!"

BTW, that is not to be used to often and I certainly think that you should be in school the entire second weekend in January. That is when school is most critical!!!! :D

Nice work once again!

Jaybic