What A weekend.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

What A weekend.

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well the title pretty much says it all for our latest weekend of calling!.. The coyotes were very responsive to calling, and our shooting was pretty darn good as well.. Altogether it was definately a blast.. Ill try to put the events into writing for you all to read, but I will admit my memory is a bit jarred from all the running and shooting :lol:... More on the running part to come :lol:..

The plan for Saturday was for Marty and I to get out of town at around 5:00 A.M to meet up with a buddy of ours ( Curry ) for a full day of coyote calling fun! According to the ever so important weather man, he was calling for low winds with moderate temperatures, Marty and I love low winds :) .. We met Curry at around 7:00 A.M and headed for the first stand. We arrived at our first spot and parked the truck, as we readied our gear we could hear coyotes howling off both sides of the road... This should be good :) ..

Our first set found us overlooking a large basin, with a deep creek bottom running through the middle of it. This spot just smelled like a coyote :lol: .. Curry and I sat by the Foxpro while Marty Watched the backdoor.. After waiting a few minutes for a loud semi to pass on the road a quarter mile behind us I hit the call. Ten minutes in nothing is showing. All of the sudden out of the corner of my eye I spot a coyote.. No two coyo... NO! three coyotes coming in HARD right to Curry and I! I quickly adjusted my rifle and let the lead dog charge all the way into 40 yards. I bark and center the crosshairs, The coyote drops in his track.. Curry quickly acquired his target after my shot and made a very nice running shot on his.. The third coyote narrowly escapes our gunfire! 2/3 not bad at all.. Starting the morning off with a double is always a good sign :) .

As we were making our way back to the truck 3-4 coyotes began howling on the other side of the gravel road. We quickly threw the two coyotes in the truck and headed across after the "howlers"..

After about a 1/4 mile walk into the pasture we found a nice spot to set up.. I began calling and after 20 minutes nothing shows. As we are about to leave Marty spots a coyotes wayyy out slowly walking the other way, obviously not interested. As I studied the terrain I figured I could have a chance at a stalk on him. Marty and Curry decided to head back to the truck and go make another stand while I walk further in after the coyote we had just spotted.

Another quarter mile in I spot a hill that will give me a good vantage point over the land. I flip out my bi-pod and begin calling on my sceery bite reed. I called and called and called but nothing was showing. Right as Im about to leave I glass with my bino's and spot a pale coyote SLOWLY approaching from a long distance out. After a lot of coaxing the coyote comes across the basin. A few minutes Later I find myself climbing back up the cliff with my hard earned prize.

Marty and Curry had a dry stand but said they could hear my gun shot ring out across the prairie :)..

Its now 9 o clock and we already have 3 dogs down, Things are looking up!.. The next stand found us calling a very tight area, two draws ran deep into the hills and coyotes could pop up just about anywere! At the 12 minute mark a large coyote backdoored us and we let him get away unharmed! Little did we know this would be our only mistake for the next day and a half! :) .

Ok! Its now around ten O'clock. We spot a nice looking basin with cows and deep cuts running through it. After a LONG hike in we get settled into the perfect spot. I start the foxpro and pick up my binoculars to glass the distant hills. As I glassed I suddenly spotted a small speck moving up and down the hills. Sure enough its a coyote coming from easily a mile away! Now what happens next always makes me wonder. This coyote charged all the way into around 360 yards. At that point he decided he had enough. He sat down on his lazy butt and would come no further. I tried it all! Squeaks, chirps, wines, it didnt matter, this coyotes was losing interest! Its now or never! We try a 1-2-3 and all shot simultaneously. The coyote jumps, yelps, and runs into the wash. Yes you guessed it, this is my cue to enter into "Rambo Mode" :lol: . I sprint the next350 yards down into the wash to look for the dog. As I reach the washout I immediately spot a few spots of blood going downhill. I tracked the coyote for around 50 yards when he suddenly jumps up in front of me and runs down DEEPER into this washout. Mhmmm, im right behind him. After some cat and mouse The dog gives me a shot... I worked to get that one! The drag back is always my favorite part :) :lol:

That makes four, and there is still a whole lot of daylight left. We head up the road and choose a another spot barely a mile up. This spot screamed coyote! It was a large valley with brushy ravines and draws intermingled throughout it.. The wind had picked up slightly so I hung the foxpro high up in a tree to echo the sound a long way off! It was becoming aparent to us the coyotes were respnding very slowly. This stand warranted atleast a 20 minute sit. After howling, some distress, and of course the secret sound, nothing was showing. It had been 22 minutes when Marty spots a coyote off on the horizan just looking at us. He was not interested. Then all of the sudden at the 27 minute mark Curry spots a coyote slinking in on Martys side. The dog disappeared, then reappeared from some brush at 150 yards. Martys 17 Rem. barked and number 5 was a short 150 yards down a cliff for me to retrieve :lol: ..

Wow, we decied we need to sit atleast 20-25 minutes as the coyotes are coming from long distances out, and very slowly.

Afternoon is now upon us, the usual "dead time" of the day as far as calling goes. We try a few spots that do not produce. Persistance does pay off though as we approach a late afternoon stand we spot a coyote mousing on the valley floor. We crawl into position and begin calling. The coyotes is not interested at all.... BUT his buddy is! A dog pokes his head out at 250 yards down wind. Marty and I both fire and the dog recieves two chunks of lead to his brisket.!

Man Im getting in good shape.. Another cliff to descend :) :lol: .

Now here is were things got wacky. On the way back to the truck Curry spots a dog mousing in some deep grass 100 yards from the pickup! HUH? talk about rare. We sneak to 375 yards and get ready for a shot. We do the old 1-2-3 and the coyotes drops on impact! Now that IS a BONUS dog! As Marty and I walked out to retrieve the dog we decide we may as well walk over the hill and hit the call. I mean, we are out here We might as well.. Sure enough a coyote pokes his head out of a wash and starts slinking in. He died shortly after in a DEEP drainage. Get your labrador(sp) retriever on Mitch!

That is eight coyotes, What A triple! :lol: :lol: :lol:... Ill show you an example of a TRUE triple soon. :).
P.S Martys
gun is not aimed at my head!

It is now evening ten coyotes isnot out of the question! We head aways up the road and spot another good looking area. The setup was not perfect as the coyotes could approach from many different directions! We called for twenty minutes with no takers. It was time to packup! This is were things got western in a hurry.. Marty head back to the truck while I have some "business" to attend to as my cookies are not sitting well with my stomach :lol: . As I sat there doing my business I hear Marty hit his hand call. He must have spotted a coyote on his way out! I quickly "took care of business" and got my rifle ready just in case. I suddenly spot a coyote coming up a cattle trail. Curry fires and the coyote runs down into a brush draw! Once again I enter "Rambo Mode". I sprint down after the wounded coyote, After a 100 yard chase I got another bullet in him. Thats nine...

Tried as we did, the tenth coyote alluded us!. But all in all it was a terrific day..

Sunday - Marty and I decided to do some morning calling before we headed back to town.. After sleeping in a little late we headed out to our first set. We actually didnt have any spots picked out, If it looked good we were going to call it!.

The first set looked really good :). I called very quietly for 15 minutes as a farmer was just over the hill working his horses.. Marty suddenly spotted a coyote coming in from my side. As soon as I saw the dog I knew he was one for the stretchers! At 200 yards I decided breakfast was over..

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Re: What A weekend.

Post by mitchkvernum »

We tried 2 more dry sets and decided we would get one more good spot in before bagging it. We parked off the highway and walked a half a mile in to a remote valley with no roads near it. This spot was absolutely CHERRY!.. We decided it would be best to sit 100 yards apart as we had alot of valley to keep an eye on! At minute 15 I decide it is time for some interrogation howls. Immediately two dogs light up on my side howling like there is no tomorrow! As I became focused in on them Martys rifle barks on his side of the valley!.. Two Minutes later A second shot!.. I quickly start calling some more when I spot another coyote approaching martys side. The dog stops at 100 yards to get a drink out of a creek. The dog suddenly drops and then The report of the rifle followed!.. I think we all know the outcome of this.. After a long drag I have all three of the coyotes back on the ridge. :) Life is good!

We decided to call it a weekend and head back to town.. Here is the first dog from our morning skun out :)

Hope you enjoyed...
blake
coyotehunter

Post by blake »

i should not be reading this at work... my day is shot. :D
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work guys! I hope that wasn't someones spot for this weekend!!! :lol: 8)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

thats a pile of dogs
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

get a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: j/king.. great going guys
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Oh it would be nice to be young again. You guys make me tired just reading about your hunt. Very nice looking coyotes. Pretty hard to top that story. Good read.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I have to admit it.....I'm just plain jealous. Very nice work guys.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Nicely done mitch, marty, curry!!!!! Thats is a weekend that will be remembered for a while :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Sounds like that was an exceptional weekend! Congrats. We made it out Sat. morning also and put 4 in the truck by 1. I love October!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Gotta love NW ND!!!

Coyotes, whities, mulies, no freakin people, what more could a guy need!?
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

You guys need a film crew. :shock:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

I SAY THAT EVERY TIME WE GO OUT
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

:D :D :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

Tbush we should really talk about the video thing we are missing out on some awsome footage we could make a hell of a tape for sell