clarifying

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

clarifying

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Guys i have posted about the "den" that i had found last monday on here and have been discussing the subject with a few other guys and wanted to clarrify. I am by no means claiming that there was pups in the "den" that i found. My personnal opinon on the subject was that it was a pair of coyotes that were using maybe one of many of the "dens" that they had excavated or used before for the upcoming whelping season. It looked like they had been using the "den" quite a bit and figured it had possibibly been choosen for the first "den" of the year.

After discussing this with some of the professional guys one of them believes that it is simply a "hole" that the pair is using to help the mangy coyote of the two survive. I will be making a visit tomorrow while checking snares and trying to see if i can't get that pair to come out and play and am going to try to get pictures, but with the new snow it will be tough to show the activity around the "hole" being only one day after six inches of snow.

I will post what i find tomorrow and what i come up with for a explanination myself
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thats pretty intresting Brad, keep us posted what you figure out.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Can't wait to hear what you find out. Some pictures of called in coyotes would be awesome!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I think a video would be pretty cool. I wanted to film a couple sets this year but it gets to be so much to carry around.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Oh sorry guys I should of made that more clear. if they come in they are going to get a lead sandwich but i am going to take some pics of the "hole" if i didn't spook them off of it last monday
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

AAAAHHH that makes sense. I was starting to think you were changing your shooting weapon of choice. That's the Brad I know!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

LOLOLOLOL :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I bet that lead sandwich will be real tasty for them :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Brad, I came accross somthing similiar just about a week ago. I had seen a pr. of coyotes earlier in this area. I tried to call them with no luck. I went back just lately and did a lone howl. In just about two minutes over the hill came that pr. I had my dog along but they didn't want to dog. I shot the bitch and when I went over to inspect her I came accross a den they had been working on. It's way too early for pups and I think they were just cleaning it out a little as there was a lot of fresh tracks and dirt throwed out. On the other note coyotes use holes when the weather gets tough and lots of snow on the ground. Here's one example. I was out hunting quite a few years ago and there was a lot of snow on the ground. It was really cold also. I called in a triple and they were there in no time. Just for kicks , I followed the tracks to see where they came from. They ended up in a big hole they had dug through the snow to get at. This was not a den, just a spot to get in out of the weather. I'm betting what you saw is a pr. cleaning out an existing den from last year. Try some hurt pup there and see what happens.

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thanks Jerry i have come to the same conclusion. I was unaware that the definiton of a "den" to most trappers and the professionals means that there is pups inside and that is where the confusion came in :?

You said that the pair of coyotes didn't want the dog how did they react then? Did they turn to head out as soon as seeing the dog or did they just not work the dog?
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Brad, when they came over the hill and saw the dog they kept coming and when my dog went out to about 75yds. , they stopped and kinda quartered away. I could tell that they just didn't want to commit to the dog. They weren't really leaving and perhaps they might have came after the dog but I shot the female anyway. I got on the hurt pup but the male did not come back. Sometimes they will stick around and you can get both of them. Not this time though. Let me know the outcome of that pr. you have been watching.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thats pretty awesome!! Good pics
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"