Buck/coyote fever

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

JeffB
coyotehunter

Re: Buck/coyote fever

Post by JeffB »

I haven't even called one in yet, but already driving the wife nuts talking about it!!! Good to hear its a similar feeling for everyone! Just the thought of the 1st dog bearing down on me....oh boy :D
mastahunta17
coyotehunter

Post by mastahunta17 »

hello i am new to this site and coyote hunting im from central minnesota and i see coyotes all the time and a bunch of coyote poop by my deer stand i would really like to get into coyote hunting but was wonder what are good locations to look for and what scents or calls to use and if decoys are a helpful product to purchse thank you for the help
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

That is a big question...............short answer...........get a cheap hand call....sight your varmint gun in for 200 yards..........see if you can find someone local to go hunging with to learn the ropes. Buy some gas and take him to some spots you have scouted and got permission for........
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

mastahunta17; What city do you live close to.. I maybe close enough to help you out if you are serious about it...
mastahunta17
coyotehunter

Post by mastahunta17 »

i live in brainerd but i will be hunting in staples minnesota and yes me and my cousin are serious about it seems more fun than deer hunting to be honest with you
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

In youre other post you mentioned you lived in central Mn. so I thought you maybe close by to me. Youre area is more like north central. Pretty good drive from where I live which is south central..LOL
I have done some deer hunting around nevis and have passed through youre area a few times, the company I work for has also done some road construction around staples and motley. A good area for coyotes and cats but a little to far for me to drive to help you out.. good luck..
mastahunta17
coyotehunter

Post by mastahunta17 »

well thats no good lol what kind of scents would u recommend to use or any decoys and or calls?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

well thats no good lol what kind of scents would u recommend to use or any decoys and or calls?
Not trying to be a smart ass but I believe scents are best used for trapping and decoys for duck hunting.
I don't use scents when calling and have only used a decoy a few times for certain coyotes. The wife did buy me a new decoy for Christmas last year and I may give it a few trys and other than that I do well without one..
If you feel you need to use scents by all means go ahead, skunk wouldbe at the top of my list followed by pure coyote urine. And for decoys just about anyone on the market should work..
For calls a yote buster, Screrry ap-6 or 8 or what ever brand suites you, but have atleast one open reed and one closed reed and a coaxer.. For E-callers a Minaska big country, F-P or a WT..

P.S. If you have a area with plenty of bobcat sign I would come up there and show you what I know in trade for a area to call cats...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would try to keep it simple when you first start out. I would skip the decoy and the scents.
Coyotes Forever