Buck/coyote fever

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Buck/coyote fever

Post by 1Shooter »

Alright guys, what's the cure for buck/coyote fever? I get a really bad case of it when I sit in the hills. Any suggestions?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
EO caller

Re: Buck/coyote fever

Post by EO caller »

Keep hunting 1Shooter. It'll go away. We've all had it at one time or another. The first few coyotes I called in I was shaking so bad I wouldn't have been able to hold a cup of coffee without spilling it. And I'd killed lots of them before, but there's somthing about calling one in or having that monster buck walk right up. Deep breaths and and focus on what your doing.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

experience will help cure it. i still get giggity?? when i see one coming in. hope i always do......... having confidence in your shooting ability will help to.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
blake
coyotehunter

Post by blake »

Sometimes I get so excited I can hear my heart pounding in my ears... Thats fun.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I think most people get "it" and or have it all the time, its just that some are able to control it better than others. I still get excited when i see a coyote, or big buck, or any game i am after. With more hunting and more experience in the field, is how you learn how to control it. Every time i see a coyote, i still need to tell myself ok just relax and pick the spot where you would like to try and kill em.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

1Shooter, that is quite common. I have been hunting many, many years and I still get the same thrill as when I called my first coyote in. When that thrill goes away , then that will be the time for me to hang up my calls and gun. If someone says they don't get excited when a heard of coyotes over-run you , they are full of you know what. This is why I have played this game for so many years, the "thrill and excitement." All you can do is try to manage it and don't get over-anxious. Take in a deep breath and get down to business. When multiples come in and you shoot one, all the rest are bonus coyotes. When you know what you are doing, you can stop some of the other ones and get one or two more.
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

Its a great feeling...IMO..just control it breath,"try" to relax and so one. I am with a few others on hear in that the day it goes away I will hang it up, cause the sport lost it fun.
Just don't get as bad as one of my hunting buddies who's gun has been named "Wounded Knee"
If its good enough; Better is achievable
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have'nt been excited since I was 12 and out hunting with my dads 16 ga. side by side and jumping a rooster pheasant..
I guess you could say I learned quickly not to get excited when hunting, it can cost you... I just concentrate on the job at hand and get it done.. Even though I don't get excited I still enjoy hunting as if it was the first day.. :mrgreen:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Could hear my heart pumping today when i had three coming in on me. Breath, and make the task as simple as possible the rest will fall into place with practice and expierence.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Prairie Ghost wrote:Could hear my heart pumping today when i had three coming in on me. Breath, and make the task as simple as possible the rest will fall into place with practice and expierence.
i concur :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

How can you not get excited hunting coyotes :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

I seriously some times just completely loose it i cant help i try to talk my self down but my heart feels like it is going to explode. :? It is a high that you just cannot get enough of!!!!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

devildogg wrote:I seriously some times just completely loose it i cant help i try to talk my self down but my heart feels like it is going to explode. :? It is a high that you just cannot get enough of!!!!!
EXACTLY-I think we've got the same "condition" devildogg
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

mitchkvernum wrote:How can you not get excited hunting coyotes :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thats what i was thinking!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

1Shooter

I can't help you with your nerves. I still rattle like a Ford Pinto every time I've got a coyote in my scope. But I will suggest this. Take your Savage and go find some prarie dogs to shoot at. It's the best practice in the world. The repetition will burn trigger control and trajectory into your brain. I know it's not an option this year, try to get it done next year if you can afford it. It doesn't have to be an expensive trip if you don't want it to be.