just wonderin'

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

just wonderin'

Post by leadbiscuit »

I'm curious about something and wondering if you guys could help me out. In some parts coyotes share their habitat with other, larger predators like mountain lions, wolves, and bears. Some of you guys probably call in areas that have one or more of these large predators present. When you venture out to call coyotes in these areas, do you do anything differently? Are there do's and don'ts that come with calling around more dangerous predators? These might seem like silly questions to some, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. There are people who claim they can call in large predators. What do you think?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: just wonderin'

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I'm never targeting any of the other larger predators so i don't do anything different besides watch my backside :wink: but they can be called in
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i tried lots of sets this past monthes for coyotes in an area where there are quite alot of wolves and had poor luck. however, its in minn. which sucks for calling anyway.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

bucksnbears wrote:i tried lots of sets this past monthes for coyotes in an area where there are quite alot of wolves and had poor luck. however, its in minn. which sucks for calling anyway.
Amen brother. I saw the posts on your last ND hunt. You might wanna take a trailer with next time. I think you were over legal per axle weight on that chevy.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

:lol: :lol: :lol: .trust me lead... that will/can never happen again :?:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not do anything different when calling in areas that hold bigger predators. Bears call in very easily from what I have seen on video and from conversations with guys who have done it. Most any predator can be called in if you are close enough to them.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks for the replies guys. This isn't anything I need to worry about within a couple hundred miles of where I live. Like I said, I'm just curious about what you guys have experienced. Any one else have anything to add? I'm going nuts waiting for deer season to end. Could sure use some good conversation.
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Lead, I have been asked a million times if I thought I could call in a cougar because there is a lot of them around here. I'm sure it can be done, I know of guys that have done it and it doesn't sound like much fun to me. I had a guy tell me that he sat for two hours trying to call in a cougar and he ended up shooting one at nine feet with a shotgun. I asked him how far it was away when he first saw it and he said "NINE FEET" :shock: . No thanks.
I dont want to sit that long only to have the living shit scared out of me. :oops:
I don't really like calling by my self if I think there might be one in an area. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder and squirming around and thats not condusive to calling in coyotes.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

EO

That's kinda what I was thinking. I've gotten pretty used to animals trying to kill me. Those of you who work with livestock can relate. But the thought of going at it with big cat scares the crap out me. They have a tendency to go for the head and neck. Freakin' ouch!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

A buddy of mine calls cats and used to give instruction for it also. Two things I gleaned from him was have the E-caller 50 ft. out and use a tree for backing..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

EO that was good shit i don't care who you are!!!! :lol: I have a lot of lions in my area if i call the timber and keep it in the back of my mind especially during denning when i have my dogs on stand but not something i change tactics for except trying to keep a decent backing :)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

No thanks.
I dont want to sit that long only to have the living shit scared out of me.
LMAO!!!!!!
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

We have quite a few lions in our area of Wyoming also. I really try not to let it bother me to bad. I'm damn sure not trying to act tough or anything because I have had the living shit scared out of me by lions. :oops: :oops: I do try and find a good place to put my back and just try not to think about it. :shock: Another good way to deal with the constant threat is to always park the pickup out of site of any homes or roads, and to have it quick access from the stand with a fresh pair of underwear hangin from the mirror!!!!!( Saves alot of embarrassment when returning to your wife with shitty pants)
shop2.JPG
"God hates a coward"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Good stuff guys. Thanks for sharing... So keep your back against something solid, use a remote caller well away from you, and take a partner if you can.
Is that the bottom line?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

you forgot a clean pair of underwear in the truck :mrgreen:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"