spitfire

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

spitfire

Post by leadbiscuit »

Ordered a foxpro spitfire and an extra speaker tonight. Anyone else using one? What appealed to me was the simplicity and light weight of it. Hoping I did not throw away 260 bucks.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: spitfire

Post by bucksnbears »

hate to ruin your day.. but, my brother bought one and the volume sucked and the lcd readout on the remote faded into nothing at 25degrees. he promptly took it back. have herd many similar stories about them
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks bucks. You're too late to ruin my day. That normally happens in the A.M. I'll see what happens. I can always send it back.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Did some lookin on the foxpro forum. Found a post from foxpro adressing the cold weather issues Bucks was probably talking about. They say that the remote has been modified. Date on the post was Oct 2009. Like I said I'll see what happens. When it shows up I'll put the remote in a ziplock and put it in the freezer for a couple minutes.If it survives that, I should be good to go.
nd_yote

Post by nd_yote »

I have one and havent had any trouble with the screen fading in cold weather. I have used it in single digits with no problems. Could be louder at times but overall its a pretty good call for the money. Purchased mine January 2010. I like it so far, I dont make it out to much but it gets the job done for me!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

A buddy of mine bought one. The battery life did not impress me at all. -5 degrees with fresh batteries and it couldn't make it through one set.

I'll also concur on the volume, IMO, high volume is really the only benefit of an electronic call, and the spitfire didn't seem to have it. You could always upgrade to that ghetto blaster, I mean prarie blaster. :D

Ive got an old 535B and an FX3, still like the 535 best as its small enough to slip in the hip pocket of my bibs.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks guys. I've got one of the JS tape player units. It's heavy. But it has good volume and has been extremely reliable, even at double digits below zero.
I ordered the spitfire for backup or for when I don't need much volume. One thing is for sure.... nobody wants to hear me try to use an open reed mouth call.
It ain't pretty. I'll post what happens with the spitfire. Good or bad.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Took the spitfire out this morning. It worked fine. I had left it in my truck overnight and the temp this morning was 15 degrees. The remote worked fine but did seem a bit more sluggish than it was indoors. Volume is about like a preymaster I used to have(RIP). The little foxpro actually has a nice clean sound. Time and lower temps will tell the rest of the tale. I'll keep you fellers updated.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

leadbiscuit wrote:Took the spitfire out this morning. It worked fine. I had left it in my truck overnight and the temp this morning was 15 degrees. The remote worked fine but did seem a bit more sluggish than it was indoors. Volume is about like a preymaster I used to have(RIP). The little foxpro actually has a nice clean sound. Time and lower temps will tell the rest of the tale. I'll keep you fellers updated.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
good to hear leadb. i think the spitfire will be fine in an area where you won't have to need the volume that the higher end one have. i hope they worked the bugs out of the remote display in the cold
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks bucks, I hope so too.