Pretty Good Calling, and a little video..

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Pretty Good Calling, and a little video..

Post by mitchkvernum »

I have been pretty darn busy with work and school the last couple days, I finally know got a chance to jump on the computer and show ya how Marty and I did over the weekend callin'!

Friday we decided we would head out and try our hand at a little callin. Unfortunately the wind was pretty heavy in the morning!.. Instead of calling we headed over to a couple ranches to try and thin out a few using alternate tactics.

These ranchers just want the coyotes GONE, and calling is tough in these areas. The terrain is very flat therefore a guy needs to improvise a bit.

Right at daybreak we spotted three dogs leaving his cows. We formulated a plan and got out ahead of them. We set up on a fencerow and one of the coyotes came right to us!.. Big Ol' Male he was!

As we hopped in the pickup and drove over the hill a coyote suddenly busted out of the ditch and started across a stubble field. Marty bailed out, took aim, and rolled the coyote on an dead run with a well placed head shot!.. The ranchers going to be happy :) ..

We ended up getting one more off the ranch, and by now the wind was dying down. We did a little exploring and found a promosing area to make a call..

We walked about a 1/4 mile into a sections of land and got set up overlooking a cattle pasture. The stand looked promsing to say the least.. Not 2 minutes in Marty lip squeaks me and points out a HARD charger headed my way.. The coyote tops the ridge and stops to survey the land. I had thoughts of letting him come closer but my trigger finger did the thinking for me..

This coyote was HUMONGOUS!! HUGE!! MASSIVE! :lol:.. I have been looking for a dog like this to get my coyote hat made out of :D .. It should look nice..

We threw the rest of the coyotes out on the ground from that morning and got a photo..

Light was fading fast but we decided we could get one more good call in.. We bailed out of the pickup a 1/2 mile down the road, and headed out to give it a shot.. As we topped the ridge martys motions for me to stop as a bedded coyotes is 450 yards out.. Marty ranges a the coyote, and then a small knoll and tells me if I can get there the shot will be 380 yards.. I rushed out to the knoll and just as the dog stood up and eas ready to leave my .243 barked..

I hit the dog in the lungs and he made the death charge 150 yards down hill!.. Cool, we got five..

The following morning Marty and I headed out for a morning of calling.. The wind was pretty low so we knew our first stand should be a good one.. We set up in a spot were earlier this season Marty took a double in a tournament.. 10 mins into calling Marty spotted a dog approaching from the down wind. The coyote dropped out of sight, and we figured he was gone for good.. Fortunately he re-appeared 70 yards away!.

Marty adjusted his .243 and put the dog down for good..

A few stands later we set up overlooking a large pasture with cattail ponds scattered throughout it. I decided to try some Lightning Jack.. We spotted this coyote coming from a 1/2 a mile away Straight across one of the iced over ponds.. I got some video on Martys little hand held cam just so you get the general idea of the situation.. Its not good video by any means, as I was not in position to video.. But maybe kind of interesting to some.. Turn your volume on.

Well Marty proved me wrong and DIDNT miss.. :lol:

We also ended up spotting one more coyote heading across country that evening. We had no idea were he was going but he was ON A MISSION.. We got in front of him and stalked up to 150 yards. There he was chewing on a dead cow.. Wrong place wrong time for him :lol:..

It was A fun weekend..

Hope you enjoyed..
EO caller

Re: Pretty Good Calling, and a little video..

Post by EO caller »

Good stuff as always Mitch. That one is a white sucker. And the big one is a toad. :shock:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Way to go guys appreciate you posting it for us.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

very cool
Coyotes Forever