Had a interesting day..

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Had a interesting day..

Post by Tim Anderson »

I'm pretty much done with work other than a few days here and there if the company decides to start up again to finish what we have left..
Sooo I decide to get up bright and early and do a little scoutting while we still have a little snow.. I put on about 40 miles and took notes of fresh coyote tracks crossing the road or along fence lines and also made some notes on stand placement for night calling when the full moon comes around again..Finished up at noon and headed home and did a little work on the garage door openner for the wife..Also finished cleaning up and putting away stuff from work.. About 3:00 I decide I would take the vidio camera and head out to a deer yard and see if there are any big deer left over from the hunting season...
I set up on high ground and watched the deer as they came out of a very large grove of cottonwoods, most came out on the southside due to the N-W wind..After some time about 30 some deer where out in the field feeding with one nice eight pt. buck among them, but where to far from me to film. I decided I was going to head back to town when I spotted to spots on the northside of this big grove and I grabbed the glasses and took a look.. Oh my!!
Those two spots turned out to be two nice big coyotes just mouseing around and playing grab-ass. I looked quickly around the inside of the truck to see if I had any calls along since I already new the WT was still at home. Yippy!! I found three calls, two burnham bro.s closed reed calls with a high pitched voice and one a little lower pitched and my custom "Yote buster" call.
There is no hunting on this property where the deer yard is but I have permission to hunt the ajoining field owned by my cousin and the property line is 1/2 mile north of where I saw the coyotes and all open field with no cover and a small drainage that runs East and west through it. I hope I could call them out into the open from there since it was starting to get dark..
I drove around to the other side of the section and made my way in along some terraces for cover and got in about 1/4 mile and set up..
At the time I was thinking about one of Scotts posts about howling so I decide to start my stand with a few lone howls..
I gave two howls and a pair of coyotes walked out of the grove and stood there looking in my direction, but did not commit any farther so I gave then another lone howl and they both came about 100 yds closer and stopped again so I just waited..A few minutes went by and two more coyotes appeared from the same grove, one of which was a little smaller in size and had a rat-tail... I kept watching and waiting but they did'nt want to move very far from the grove so I decided lets try some cotton-tail distress and see what happens.... Wrong!!!!! Once they heard that they looked for a minute and went back into the grove.. I sat for a spell and just let things get quiet again and I gave them a couple more howls since they seemed interested in that..
Out from the grove they came single file and about 30 yds apart and moved about 200 yds out from the grove and all of a sudden they lost interest in what they heard or was responding to.. Well lets see, how about some good old pup in distress, everyone says thats the go to sound so I lite up the call with some pup distress.. Shit! Wrong tune again for them and back into the grove they go..
I tossed out a few more howls again and once again they came back out of the grove, but also stopped again a few hundred yards out from it..
I was down to one more tune I could play and hopefully this would lite a spark..
I took my yote buster and got on the end of the reed and gave them some really high pitched squeeks blowing as hard as I could and makeing it sound like something was really hurting..It sounded pretty good and even made a tear form in one eye..LOL
Once the sound reached them up popped their heads and a running in my direction they came.. Game on boys!!!
They were comeing in on my right which was a little into the wind but not down wind of me which was good.. They ran down into the drainage in front of me and I new when they popped up I was only going to get one shot and the rest would be out of view for anymore shots.. I waited and waited, seemed like forever, nothing showed, I kept looking to my down wind and also farther up wind of my stand..
I grabbed the yote buster and gave a few more high pitched squeeks and waited some more..
One finally pops up over the ridge and is about 150 yards out and working its way to my left which is down wind, I gave the coyote two barks with my voice and got it to stop broadside and bang!! Done deal.. I never saw the other three and most likely they scattered into the wind or ran back to the safety of the grove...
The coyote turned out to be a good size male and fur was so so but I will skin it anyway..some pic's to come a little latter and short vidio..
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Had a interesting day..

Post by bucksnbears »

good post Tim. this summer when i was out just learning, i toyed with them a bit . some would come in real nice to howls only to turn tail to disress. its neat to be able to watch them come from 1/2 mile and be able to throw diffents sound to them and see how they react
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

Years ago I did this to a red fox that was sitting on a hill side. I never could get him to move and blamed it on my poor calling ability or he saw me. Thanks for the posting. I can apply that to my hunting.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Here are the vidio clips and end result.

Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Good stuff-and Mn to boot.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Tim

How far away are those coyotes while filming?

Oh, by the way, Abraham Zapruder called, again... He wants his camera back.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Abraham huh?It didn't look like Tim shot from either the warehouse or the grassy knoll to me.Not to worry,I'm sure Congress or some commission will conduct a thorough investigation regardless. :roll:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

How far away are those coyotes while filming?
They where about a 1/2 mile and the sun was starting to go down thats why the blue tint. I also had the Cam set on 2000x boost where normaly I use 70X.

Edit to add: I had another one called up later today but could'nt get it to leave the edge of cover. plus there may have been a second coyote telling it not to go out there..LOL
I'll let them simmer for a little while then go back and set up a little different....