Is there anything more frustrating.......

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Is there anything more frustrating.......

Post by barebackjack »

Than a coyote bedded at 600 yards, in the open, that you CANNOT move to save your life? :evil:

Got my first goose egg of the year out of the way today. Hopefully the only one.

Called at that bastard for 45 minutes before he even stood up. Only to stretch and curl back up a minute later.
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Re: Is there anything more frustrating.......

Post by coyotebuster »

Yeah there is. Hunting in MN and not seeing a damn thing :D. Not being able to get any closer and not coming to the call is definitely frustrating though.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

That definetly gets old. Was it too windy for a shot?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think it was my brother once who told me he had a coyote do that.................got pissed and threw his hat at the coyote. The coyote jumped up and came in on the run.............go figure.
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

that might have been me!!. first coyote i shot was taken with a tossed hat. all i had with me was a .300 H&H MAG, open sights. snuck to withing about 200-250 yards to a bedded one. i was hiding behind a lone oak tree in the middle of a field. tried squeking him in but he just sat up and stared. i had a black hat under my white one. i took it off and flung it up in the air. that coyote came flying to me. shot it at about 8-10 feet . had grandpa sitting on the road 1/2 mile away watching through my spotting scope. one of the first times i EVER seen grampa smile :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Great timing,and,yes,there are worse things.Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I sent Bucs yesterday complaining about something worse-at the exact same yardage and it sounds like the same terrain situation.

"Then was riding/scouting for tracks and glassed 5 laying on a hillside.Got to 600 and ran out of cover.Pondered it and then tried calling.Look,listen,even stand up,but eventually all layed back down.Waited about 20 minutes and KNEW I should just back out so started to and bingo,one saw me and ran,then all of them.Murderous tough place to get at them so will wait a day or two and try call at dawn from a different direction."

Shooting with the wind gusts was totally out of the question for me with the rifle I had plus most had to be YOY plus its only 5 miles from home so.....better later than never(I hope)was my theory.
Take consolation in the fact yours likely was an experienced Einstein of the yote world and mine likely were special ed students. :(
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

barebackjack wrote:Than a coyote bedded at 600 yards
Called at that bastard for 45 minutes before he even stood up. Only to stretch and curl back up a minute later.
i would have held 3 foot high and "let er buck" :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

same here,turn the turret to 600 and send that dog to the promise land.... hopefully.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

bucksnbears wrote:
barebackjack wrote:Than a coyote bedded at 600 yards
i would have held 3 foot high and "let er buck" :mrgreen:

Oh trust me, had I had the "other" rifle, I would have. But the wind was just enough to make the shot very very iffy with a 22-250. Its a good rifle, but 600 yards is pushing it. :D

I figured if I could shave 150-200 yards off he'd be in grave danger. I made it within 40 yards of the spot I wanted to get to before he caught me moving. :evil:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

how's the snow where you were.?? did you need snowshoes yet??
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Hilltops are clean. Low spots are getting bad. Our snow is still pretty "soft" which makes driving back into some places still an option. Its also preventing the coyotes from being very willing to travel a long distance to the call, still not quite crusted enough for them to walk on top well yet.

I walked 1/2 mile into one spot. Only needed shoes for about 200 yards of that walk, but boy was I glad I had em on for it or I might still be there. :lol:

Ice is precarious too. Our earlier snow really insulated it from putting on good thickness yet. I walked across one wet spot and could hear it cracking. With shoes on its of course "safer". The beaver pond at one of my spots is still open near the dam and lodge. River is still open in some spots. Saw one spot with deer tracks going across, and an old "hole" that you could tell was froze over later where the tracks ended. I can only imagine one went through there. What a way to go.

My eyes are still recovering from sun glare yesterday, I gotta find me a pair of shades that dont fog up or something.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Never happened to me with a coyote. Fox have pulled that one on me a few times. Lift the head, look in my direction, go right back to napping.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Now down to 4 left.Finally called one after 2 post surgury goose egg mornings.Came hard 400 yds without stopping,saw me and wheeled going back again.Not as fast as the 220 improved though.Entered one rear quarter,blew threw and took off the bottom half of the offside front leg.Guess that BT didn't 'splash' :D
Attachments
1R.jpg
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

well you know what they say about a blind pig :wink:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Amen to that!
And,with a 20 yr old Circe closed reed. :D