Coyote Hunting in Central Minnesota

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote Hunting in Central Minnesota

Post by lyonch »

Dcoy wrote:I think Lyonch was bowhunting there this afternoon.That 'google' looks familiar. :mrgreen:
I was a few miles north and a little west of there :wink: He didn't show either :? If i dont win this year, i will be doing a lot more scouting that normal next year :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
sbandow
coyotehunter

Post by sbandow »

I also hunt in central mn just on the south side of mille lacs lake. the biggest impact around my area lately is a few guys running dogs for bobcats and also had alot of wolves move into the area.
DougMN
coyotehunter

Post by DougMN »

I had to chime in on this post...Everything I am writing here is from the MN 2010 hunting regs;

*Any entry onto private property of another without permission is considered trespass. - page 6
*A person may not enter legally posted/agricultural land for outdoor recreation purpose without permission. - page 6
*EXCEPTIONS: a person on foot may, without permission, enter private land without a firearm to retrieve a hunting dog. After retrieving the dog, the person must immediately leave the premises. This exception does not authorize the taking of the wild anmial. - page 7
*UNPROTECTED MAMMALS: They may be taken in any manner, except with the aid of artificial lights or by using a motor vehicle to drive, chase, runover or kill the animal. - page 20

This one is tricky and I would NOT advise it...DOGS PURSUING BIG GAME: No person may allow their dog to chase or kill big game. Between January 1st and July 14th, a dog that is observed wounding, killing, or pursuing in a way that endangers big game may be killed by any person. - page 22

I know coyotes are not big game but if the dogs are chasing deer also you can at least call a conservation or police officer.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

DougMN wrote: I know coyotes are not big game but if the dogs are chasing deer also you can at least call a conservation or police officer.
Or just shoot em.
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

First off IMO we each caller/houndsmen have a place in the hunting/fishing world and lets not limit each others fun...

that said in today's world there is not reason a guy should ever have to trespass to get some form of game... Respect each other and we all will get along..
I preach that when I teach my gun safety classes.

Now back to the subject, I also hunt very large tracks of land hear in MN most are around 2,000 acres... and are not accessible buy vehicle, maybe on the ice. We do a TON of scouting and a little hunting, but when it all comes together we shoot one or two. I hunt the Upper Miss. USFWR we use the river/ sloughs/ creeks to give us an open water back drop that a yote cann't cross; and call to areas we have located them in before repeatedly.
If its good enough; Better is achievable
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I didn't mean to come across as having anything against any group that hunts like reasonable people should. My frustrations can be summed up quite simply.
Were hunting coyotes, not the Taliban. It's a sport meant to make us better, stronger people. Too many hunters act like their saving the world by killing a coyote. I am sorry if anyone thought I meant anything else.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
MNHunter
coyotehunter

Post by MNHunter »

I'm Not so sure. This is the Coyote I saw last night :shock:
Attachments
Taliban Coyote.jpg
MNHunter
coyotehunter

Post by MNHunter »

I have been finding more areas to hunt with known Coyote populations. Found another promising one today. I figure if I get a few more, I will have enough not to hit the same one too often. The latest one is a guy who is missing a few chickens. He spotted 2 coyotes in the past few weeks, so that one looks good. It is close to a snowmobile trail, but they do not go off the trail so hopefully it will pan out. Lots of sleds around here. They have to be used to the sound, until it gets too close. One thing that makes me mad is there was a Coyote laying on the public access to the lake this spot is next to. It was dead but not shot. Run down by a snowmobile would be my guess. Someone probibly spotted it on tha lake and went after it. Hope thier sled got messed up !
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Doubt their sled got hurt but maybe they'll get lung cancer.Here they get on top of them and smoke a cig to make sure they suffocate.Only reason I've ever found not to donate to the American Cancer Society.
MNHunter
coyotehunter

Post by MNHunter »

Here is a pic on a track we found in the tamarack bog. Actually a trail of them and 4 beds. This was about 2 hours after a fresh snow. I do not think they are Coyotes. :) They are about the size of my Brothers Great Dane. We also found a deer trail close buy with blood drips. No one was hunting out there so my guess is they made a run at it.
Attachments
Wolf Track.jpg
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

looks big enough!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

unless those are toddler gloves i'd say that's probably what you're guessing it is.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

yep, i've seen those tracks TOOOOOO many times :x
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
MNHunter
coyotehunter

Post by MNHunter »

From what I have read, if you see Wolves, you won't see many Coyotes. Any truth to that? We used to hear Coyotes quite a bit out there, but the last couple of years, we have not heard any. I need to go out there again and look for tracks or trails. It is a hard hike, but a lot of fun. Deer like crazy out there. Not many people have the energy to hike that far around here. It gets very little foot traffic. No motorized vehicles are allowed.
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

You guys admitted it!! :lol: Minnesota sucks! We all know Montana blows! Thats why everyday I want to go coyote hunting the wind is howling here in ND. :lol: