decoy dogs

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

copper
coyotehunter

decoy dogs

Post by copper »

just watched this video on www.montanadoggers.com hunting coyotes with decoy dogs,can't wait to get the dvd.this is what using decoy dogs is all about.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: decoy dogs

Post by bucksnbears »

thats some GREAT stuff :D what cal/bullets are you using??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

looks like the video was shot during the spring, when fur isn't prime. SO for most guys a decoy dog isn't the answer because they aren't going to help you out during the winter months, when fur is prime. Pups aren't going to come into a dog because of dominance reasons and the adults won't come in really well either because of the similar reason, territories aren't set up. That and snow really hinders their ability to move. So unless you're doing ADC work, dogs are not an advantage. In some cases they can be a disadvantage, ie. if the landowner has his dogs running around. But the video was cool.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I have never done that but it looks like ALOT of fun....and no #$%#$%#%&$^&*% SNOW!

Jaybic
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Mike Granger on Predatormasters uses his decoy dog Bubba in the winter in MT to hunt coyotes. If the weather is right, he usually does pretty good. I think some trips he got atleast 11. The rancher I trapped for in WY, had a big pale coyote follow him and his cattle dog, he was on the atv and dog was close to atv, the coyote harassed the dog about a mile down the trail, in Sept-Oct. I have used my dog to decoy calling in the fall also. Once they see the dog, usually they react like, there is the sog that is killing rabbits in my area! A medium sized dog, is less threatening to a coyote, compared to a big dog. I say use one for calling, never tried to bring one spot-stalking in IA.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I'm not touching this one!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
"God hates a coward"
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

So unless you're doing ADC work, dogs are not an advantage. In some cases they can be a disadvantage, ie. if the landowner has his dogs running around. But the video was cool.

Ok, pardon the newbie question. What is ADC work? :?:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

animal damage control.............those guys called me up asked if they could set up a table at the "Classic"
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

western states are a whole different ball of wax when it come to decoy dogs. If you guys don't have snow, definitely use it, you'll end up picking up some dominant pups and adults. But here in ND where there is snow, you're better off leaving the dogs at home. They can handle the cold, it's the deep snow that hurts.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

LEAVE you dog at home unless you are working legimate damage control in the spring and summer months period!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

these guys are out having fun but they are working on ranches with livestock. They leave the dogs at home during the fur season.
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Boy we seem to go down this road over and over.
Randy Roede
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I know, right..............everyone knows my opinion on dogs in the winter. bread and butter topic these days.
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Ya know one of the reasons may be when we have calling contests and in the rules we state no decoy dogs like it would be an advantage.

That could lead the uninformed or novice hunter to believe this is something that will fill your truck up with coyotes in the winter.

For the record if we, all the ADC guys on this forum, thought calling in the winter would be better if we brought a decoy dog we would. Ours stay in the truck or stay at home.

I wish it would year round I hate leaving them home and not seeing the action.

If you ever have a chance to see good decoy dogs at work during the right time of year do it. You will see coyotes do things they will not do at any other time of the year.
Randy Roede
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

randy, i can understand that, but wouls a smaller (20)lb dog be ok just for an added stimulant when calling??
reason being as i took my small 35lb Tucker with me alot this summer(he's briiliant white) and had the best time i could ever imagine with him. i would'nt consider him a decoy dog as he stayed pretty close to me but for a visual effect on brown pastures it was simply amazing how well it worked. once coyotes got a viual on him, alot would come in without having to even call.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."