decoy dogs

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: decoy dogs

Post by Tim Anderson »

I think it depends on the coyotes in the area you are hunting. Look at Kelly Jackson, Tony Tebbe, Granger and a few others that have dogs on stand almost year round. If they are looseing coyotes because of the dog they ain't telling.. :roll:
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

are you kidding me Tim? Do you have dogs? If we're all saying they don't work in the winter time, then they don't work. Just stop and think about it. If you have a dominant dog in an area it will dominate all others, if you have a pack of pups that were kicked out of their area to find their own area, the first sign of a dominant dog and they're on the run, because they don't want their ass kicked again. Dominance doesn't really mean big dog, it's posture and coyotes can tell this from a long ways off. If you do get one to come in to a dog in the winter it'll be a dominant adult dog 9 times out of 10. The other 1 would be the dumb curious one. so you're better off not taking the dog in the winter to pick up a few of those other 9 dogs.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Like I said it must have to do with what part of the country you live in and coyote numbers.. The guys that use them are in the south-west states, Tex. N.m. A.Z. and Ok. I agree with you that they should'nt be used up in the N-W states. :)
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do believe that the average age of your coyotes will have an effect on your results. I just do not understand the purpose of using a dog in the winter months. I would imagine that most guys do not understand why you use them in the spring and early summer as well. I would think that is goes to the fact that there is so little good info coming out of the coyote hunting magazines, and DVD's that most guys just do not understand coyotes behavior well enough to make an informed personal decision.
Coyotes Forever