How much does it mean?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

How much does it mean?

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Do you think that coyotes have a language along the lines of humans ( 22 different vocalizatons) in that they have a certain cadence and inflection to mean a certain thing or do you think that they just howl and the expression in the howl is everything?

To clarify:
is a challenge howl.....BARK BARK BARK HOOOWWWWL BARK BARK HOWWLLL

and a "Lonesome howl" bark hhhhhhhhooooooowwwwwwwllllllll

or is it just a mixture for everything and just depending on BARK HOWWWWLL and bark howwwwwllll

Then how do you DEFINTEVLY (sp) tell a female invitation howl? from a "interogation howl"

This would obviously exclude the easy ones like warning barks vs the "lonesome howl" or "interogation howl"

Something to think about next time you're in the field?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

Brad.T,
There is no way us as humans can understand exactly what a coyote is saying. In calling coyotes to the gun with a howler, I believe the most important thing is to make resident coyotes think there is a strange coyote in their territory. A lonesome sounding howl with no barks is a sound that will help put a lot of fur on the stretcher. Barking may sound agressive to the coyotes, so I don't use barks very much anymore.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I agree 100% Rich
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Brad, My theory is , all you have to do the majority of the time is Like Rich says, make em think another coyote is in their territory and your in business. Sometimes just a simple little bark or yip is all you need. Sometimes just a couple notes of hurt pup is the ticket. I like to go into a area and simply just do a few notes of hurt pup and it doesn't have to be in early Spring. Works all year around. The main thing is keep em wondering what's going on. If I am by myself and I have lots of time , I just simply give a couple barks or hurt pup and then wait for quite awhile. Then I might do a little howling followed by a rabbit distress with quite a bit of time in between. Time in between is important to me. If you set there and just blow your call non-stop or quite abit your chances are not as good. That will work , but on the tough coyotes , no way. On those tough coyotes that have been called before, you have to change your calling tactics and use time to your advantage. Just enough to keep them wondering whats going on. I think I mentioned this earlier, but sometimes it may take over an hour before a coyote will show. Of course you probably wouldn't want to stay on stand that long if you were in a contest. Try it sometime when your by yourself and you might be surprised how effective it is. If most beginners would get just one howl down to perfection, I would say to work on the lone howl which can be a couple yips and a howl, or just one long howl. You'll get a lot of coyotes to respond to that. They may not howl back, but they will still come to the howl, whether it be a transient coyote or a adult coyote. High pitch howls have worked for me to get all age groups of coyotes within shooting range. Here's a simple thought. Just imagine a coyote sleeping on a hillside and you do a little yip or hurt pup. He's going to come out of that bed in a hurry to see what the heck is going on.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Good post Jerry.

I shot a coyote at just over an hour on stand a couple of weeks ago. I was really at the point were I thought I was more or less just working the dogs but I started getting the feeling I was being watched. At just over an hour I had one sneak in from behind and I caught him looking my way at about 50 yards. When he seen the dogs he turned to leave. I gave him a howl and stopped him long enough to poke him behind the shoulder. 95 deg. mid day, 5 mph wind.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes good post Jerry; On some of the tuffer coyotes all you can do is wait them out and see what happens. on a few stands i had some that would howl back. I would give them a short howl back and just watch and wait. It got to a point where they could'nt take it anymore and had to come in for a look...
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

Jerry,

I never thought of it that way. I might try that.

Good Post!