Mountain lions? Really!!!!!(off subject I know)

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Mountain lions? Really!!!!!(off subject I know)

Post by tobeymcmullen »

This was just posted by the smartest people in the world. The Missouri Department of Conservation has for years denied and covered up sightings of Mountain Lions in Missouri. Well secrets out, Two have been killed within 50 miles of my house. I will post a link to the story at the end. Call me ignorant but will this pose a threat to me out coon hunting or coming back from an evening hunt. I know alot of you live where these big cats frequent, figured this to be the best place to get answers. Any signs to watch for to prove they are here besides big A@@ foot prints? ect....

http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/ray-county-c ... ntain-lion
DustyC

Re: Mountain lions? Really!!!!!(off subject I know)

Post by DustyC »

I think that big cats always pose a threat. Have you seen sign before? I always say just be prepared and pack a big gun that holds lots of boooooolits!!!!! :twisted: I don't know much about a lions range on how big or any thing but I know its pretty big. What was the sex on the 2 lions?
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think you would have a greater chance to get struck by lighting then get attack by a lion in Missouri...........I think if one is going to eat you, you will only hear the snap of your neck. I wouldn't spend to much time worrying about it, the dogs would find that cat before you bumped into one out coon hunting. Coonhunter......cool, I grew up coon hunting with my dad. post dogs pics in the dog thread on tree, very cool.
Coyotes Forever
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

No doubt... you have a much better chance dying in a car accident on the way to your next stand.

Your situation sounds alot like what North Dakota went through with the arrival of cats. The NDGF denied the existence of lions for quite a few years. Until there were so many around they couldn't deny it anymore. Now our season quota of 10 cats fills before deer season is finished in November. We have even had them show up within city limits in Bismarck and New Salem.

I hope to call one in some day!!! :D

I agree with Coyotehunter. I wouldn't worry about it. The thought used to bother me as I was making my mile trek out in the dark from my bowhunting stand. However, after spending 2 weeks in Montana in Sept. bowhunting elk in grizzly country... I don't even think of cats anymore. The bears still get me thinking though. We tented a few miles up the mountain. Everyone else was camping at the base of the mountain and driving 4 wheelers up to hunt. Don't know if they knew something we didn't.

By the way... 2 guys were mauled by grizzlies within 10 miles of where we were hunting in the 2 weeks we were out there. That makes you feel a little lower on the food chain than walking the flat lands of North Dakota.

Good luck and enjoy the fact that they are there. Maybe you will get the chance to bag one some day.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Everybody knows the G&F brought lions into ND to help control the out of control deer population we've had the last ten years. Just like the USFWS brought coyotes into the Devils Lake area to kill fox and save duck nests. :wink: :mrgreen:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It wasn't the USFWS it was Delta Waterfowl and they introduced mange many years ago to help ducks in Texas :lol: :lol:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

Perhaps they should reintroduce the bounty on coyote,or make the pelts worth something. That would put the yote population back in check. We have a ton of them here with absolutely no preesure. My neighbor, has told me many times he has seen them but has never taken a pot shot at one. He had one running 30 yards from his truck while feeding cattle. I plan to try my luck today or tomorrow at a few stands. Thanks for thr info guys
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

tobeymcmullen wrote:Perhaps they should reintroduce the bounty on coyote,or make the pelts worth something. That would put the yote population back in check. We have a ton of them here with absolutely no preesure. My neighbor, has told me many times he has seen them but has never taken a pot shot at one. He had one running 30 yards from his truck while feeding cattle. I plan to try my luck today or tomorrow at a few stands. Thanks for thr info guys

I doubt you can get the coyote population in "check". Some areas have had a bounty on them since man came to America, and well they are still out and about running around in good numbers. It seems as though the more you hunt a coyote, the more they populate :?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!