Beginners luck

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

dvldg84
coyotehunter

Beginners luck

Post by dvldg84 »

I moved to South Dakota last winter and have been talking about varmit shooting all year. Bought a new.223 and did the prairie dogs this summer. Shooting is always fun but it didnt grab me. For Christmas my buddy took my out to his family's land to call some yotes. In 5 minutes to dogs came in and I got exited and shot one at 250 yards... Hooked. My buddy has his farm and family and no where near the free time I do so I don't have the luxury of having him around to tell me what to do. I've gone out on my own a few time and its hit n miss. All lessons are learned the hard way. Didnt pay attention to the wind and walk upwind on a few, moved to much and couldnt get them to come in range. I've got a few call and have managed to bring some in but not close enough.

Basically I'm just fishin for random tip for a new guy. I'm interested in moonlight hunting and just anything that can bag me another Yote. Thanks.
If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Re: Beginners luck

Post by Optimax90 »

You came to the right place for tips my friend, ask and your ??'s will be answered here. But just don't ask me, bucs learned the heard way at the bismarck tourny :lol: :lol:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quotBasically I'm just fishin for random tip for a new guy. I'm interested in moonlight hunting and just anything that can bag me another Yote. Thanks.e][/quote]

Moonlight calling can be alot of fun but it still has its challenges.. I think you should master youre day light stands first before you move onto night time calling..
Its basicly the same game with a few more hurdles. Humans don't see to good at night and the coyotes I have called in can still pick you out at a half mile and they can spot you before you spot them.. With a full moon and snow on the ground you can exspect to see them with the naked eye at 200 yds depending on how they come in... The temps at night are much colder compared to day time so staying on stand long enough canbe a issue as well.. Good luck...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Sneak into your stand, pick a spot with a good vantage point without skyling yourself, wind in your face or at your cheek, sun at your back if possible, locate before calling if possible and shoot straight!

Thats kind of the generic newbie tips keep us informed of how it goes.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
dvldg84
coyotehunter

Post by dvldg84 »

Anyone know about anything about the Onida tournament on Feb 12th? I heard someone talking about it but cant find anything on it.
dvldg84
coyotehunter

Post by dvldg84 »

Well I went out again today. Got out near a feed lot before day break. A rancher said he has two living around his hay stack yard. Sat up there for 2 hours, watched the morning feeding and chores and called for a while and didn't see nothing but a bunch of bunnies and mullies.

Then I went down to some Missouri river bluffs. I was down there a while ago with the same results. The river is frozen over and I have called in 2 dogs both times. I can get them to show up but they wont commit to leaving the ice. Today I tried to cut the distance and shimmy down the hills for a closer shot but again I guess I'm underestimating these guys. By the time I get to the next hill they've moved out twice as far as I've moved up. Can improving my calls get these guys off the ice or is this just something against their better judgment? I've been using a rabbit distress the name evades me but its a little green dooger with three reeds in it marked close, medium, and far. Then I've got a Wiley One Jerry Hunsley howler. I got em in with the howler as my rabbit reeds froze from my last stand.