Calling in yotes

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

predator-one
coyotehunter

Calling in yotes

Post by predator-one »

Hello I am new to the talk forum and coyote hunter.net. I have been calling in coyotes for awhile now and I am in a rut with a certain area that I have decided to call at. I need some help or advice on what to do. Here is the situation I am starting out with a coyote locator call from my foxpro and it does a great job BUT after I locate the yotes and when I say yotes I mean alot of yotes all around me and for some reason I cannot call in a single on. I have been doing what I normally do to call in yotes but for some reason these little suckers just dont want to come in. Any advice??? or suggestions that can help me out on getting these things in the back of my truck. Thanks
EO caller

Re: Calling in yotes

Post by EO caller »

Alot of guys have this problem this time of year. Its a weird deal to try to call in January and late december. Coyotes are dispersing and trying to find mates and locating new territory. They aren't responding like they do in the fall. They also aren't where you normally see them. They are in more remote country breeding or getting ready too. You just need a different mind set. Try to actually get a visual and get in front of the coyote to get him called in. Spend more time on stand. The pups aren't as dumb and have been called at shot at and pressured all fall. Try to use more vocalization if you understand how to. Distress still works (called one in today with distress only) but the one I called in was only about 300 yards from where I set up. Just be more patient and maybe not as busy with your calls. They'll break loose again in mid Febuary so don't lose hope. Welcome to the site and have fun reading everthing. Most the guys are at a tournament this weekend so you'll probly be getting alot more advice by Monday.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I'd say lay off on the locater howls for trying to call them in. Sure if some are close by they have been known to come in to check it out.. As for the other coyotes when they answer youre locater howl they are doing it from there terr. or core area and are not going to cross the line. Have to move closer on these... I don't really see a down time for calling coyotes, I've done it before deer season, dureing deer season and all the month's that follow even in july....
Just use the basic distress sound and mix it up as you move through a area and find what sounds they like for that time. You can also throw in a few lone howls to get them more interested and then back to distress....

Edit to add : The correct spelling for Yotes is COYOTE... :roll:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Tim Anderson wrote:

Edit to add : The correct spelling for Yotes is COYOTE... :roll:
Tim, great grammar lesson :mrgreen: :lol: you should be a teacher :lol: :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
predator-one
coyotehunter

Post by predator-one »

Thanks for the advise guys I will take it and use it in the field. I hope to report back with some good news and a few pics. Thanks agian