TN Coyote Hunting

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

TLRMADE
coyotehunter

TN Coyote Hunting

Post by TLRMADE »

I know hunting techniques and types of calling might differ from state to state, but I figured I would ask anyways. I have been out numerous times this season to deer hunt and have also been looking out for coyotes while in the process. I have only seen two coyotes once towards the end of the day that were out of my range. I have called a few times but dont know if I am doing something wrong or what? My girlfriend lives on a big farm and really has a problem with coyotes coming around at night and giving the dogs hell! We have had to send the beagle to the vet once this year to get stitched up. Night hunting is illegal in TN(sucks) but many people say that if you are protecting livestock or dogs then you are allowed to eliminate the threat. The dogs will go crazy all night and I can hear the coyotes outside all night. The times that they love to come out is from around 8pm on. Last night we let the dogs out(7dogs) and about 10min later they started going crazy so my girlfriend told me to grab my rifle and go check. When i went to go out the door one of the dogs that was inside pushed my leg out of the way and took off running towards where the other dogs were. My girlfriend shined a light towards the dogs and there was a coyote going after her beagle. I pulled my gun up but when the coyote saw the light he took off and was gone! Keep in mind these coyotes are coming right up to the back of the house about 10ft from the door. We started hearing them a little later around the front of the house out on the hill, so we started to make our way around front. We spotted 4-5 coyotes running up the hill so i yellped at them and one stopped and turned so I pulled up my rifle and took a shot! It was about a 75-100yd shot. I am using a Bushmaster MOE .223 with Hornady Vmax 55gr. I took a quick center of body mass shot and saw the coyote jump about three feet in the air and then take off. I told my girlfriend I was sure I hit him, so we gave it about 1hr and went looking for him. I found him on the hill about 10yds from where I shot him, I had made a perfect shot! (I put my tac light on my rifle when we went looking for the coyote.)

When we drove out the driveway today we found another deer carcass that was totally devoured right by the driveway. This is the third one so far this winter. I would say there are 15+ coyotes roaming around the livestock and around the house where all the dogs are. I was wondering if anybody had any tips to help me find these guys during the day, since it is illegal in TN to just go out and hunt them at night if they are not an immediate threat? Do you guys think I should just wait till the dogs go out at night and "guard the dogs" from the coyotes then?(I hate to let the dogs out at night bc of them) Or try to hunt them during the day? Im just kinda frustrated bc I cant seem to get them to come in during TN shooting times. Sorry my first post was so involved but I thought I could get some good advice from you guys!

Thanks!
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Re: TN Coyote Hunting

Post by tobeymcmullen »

I would say they have posed a threat. Call your game warden soon to get outright permission or just take them out in the current fashion....SHHHHH!!!lol
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Sounds like a little fawn in distress and a well placed TLRMADE will get a few of them killed to me. TLRMADE? Must be a golfer. :lol: :lol:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
TLRMADE
coyotehunter

Post by TLRMADE »

Just took him to the taxidermy to get skinned. The guy said that for some reason the coyote did not have his winter coat?
heeeey
coyotehunter

Post by heeeey »

i have a friend that has had coyotes actually run across his back porch. if you dont mind me asking what part of tn do you live?
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.
TLRMADE
coyotehunter

Post by TLRMADE »

heeeey wrote:i have a friend that has had coyotes actually run across his back porch. if you dont mind me asking what part of tn do you live?
Franklin area