Taking a Shotgun on Stand

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jeck
coyotehunter

Taking a Shotgun on Stand

Post by Jeck »

I am curious how many guys take both a rifle and a shotgun on stand? I am thinking about trying it. It is going to be alot to carry on stand... but It would be nice for multiples. Curious what all your thoughts are on it. Thanks
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Taking a Shotgun on Stand

Post by LeviM »

Theres a good post called "shotguns" under General Discussions, lots of good info.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

ok - thanks. I will check that out too.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

any further questions please ask!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Those of you that are using shotguns... what shot size are you using. The Dead Coyote and other coyote shotgun rounds are expensive as hell ($3.30 per shot). I was going to pick up some #4 buckshot and try patterning that out of my Benelli. The 3" #4 buckshot shells have 41 pellets per round and the Dead Coyote has 50 pellets.

Any idea what the killing range on a coyote with a shotgun is? Is it pushing it to shoot out to 75 yds? You read the reviews on Cabelas... and every other jackass is killing deer at 100+ yds with buckshot... :roll:

I plan on using the full choke and seeing what the results are. Any thoughts?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

All you can do is pattern your shotgun at different ranges and see what your pattern is doing. I would not be afraid to use a modified choke too when you go with a larger shot size. Sometime a more constricted choke hurts you more than it helps you. I think the lightest i would go for shotgunning coyotes is 3" #2 heavishot. If you can get some lead BB, that is suppose to be the ticket from what others have told me. I personally shoot dead coyote with a dead coyote choke tube, and would not be afraid to shoot coyotes out to 75 yards with that set up. Anything more and i think its time to grab the rifle and anchor them.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

60 yards with a shotgun is about maxed out any farther and youre pushing it.. Sure once in awhile someone makes a 70-75 yard shot with only one or two pellets in the coyote. The same could be done with a 22 l.r.