Glad I didn't sleep in

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DougMN
coyotehunter

Glad I didn't sleep in

Post by DougMN »

Saturday morning 4:30am...The night before my hunting partner had cancelled because of the cold weather 9 degrees with a wind chill of -20 to -30 and because of the dry spell we had been on.

Anyway, woke up at 4:30am with a stuffy nose and while lying in my warm bed decided not to go that morning…turned off the alarm and went back to bed. Couldn’t sleep so I told myself I couldn’t shoot a coyote while lying in bed. Got up and hit the road.

Got to my first set, put out the Foxpro and my decoy and settled in for some calling. Started with a female howl and just waited…about 10 minutes later I saw a coyote running straight at me, wait a sec…that is a pair of coyotes! The female stopped about 80 yards away while the male continued circling down wind. I took the sure thing and dropped the female in her tracks. Fur down!!! However, instead of collecting her I hit a pup in distress call…about 1-2 minutes later I noticed movement on my left, another coyote coming my direction. He was about 40-50 yards on the far side of a tree I had ranged earlier at 180 yards even though he was working my direction he was heading towards some thick woods and who knows where he might come out again (if he even did) so I howled at him to stop him and bang! Well I missed but I still had one down. All things considered I’m sure glad I got out of bed.
coyote.jpg
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Glad I didn't sleep in

Post by lyonch »

That's what it's all about right there!! 8) Congrats on the dog!! Is it just the picture, or does that coyote have a really short tail?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

No not the pic he shot it off.lol

Godd hunt thanks for sharing
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

great start :D . i've never shot one in bed either :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i have yet to shoot one in bed but did kill one by shooting from the front porch in my pj's where i used to live :D
DougMN
coyotehunter

Post by DougMN »

she had a big full tail...just the angle of the pic