Microhabitat hunting?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Microhabitat hunting?

Post by tobeymcmullen »

All around my place there are old houses and barns. I have been told to setup in the barns and houses and make them come home...perse. Have any of you had any luck calling them back in, or is it a thing where you should be 50-100 yards off to get them close to it? Old haystacks? wooded areas sourrounding ect...? Hope this hasnt been covered, but if it has link it for me. I know a place where I have seen them but never in them.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Microhabitat hunting?

Post by Tim Anderson »

If you are refering to vacant homesteads where the coyotes have been comeing up into the grove to hunt, then yes this would be a good place to set up.. But stay away from the buildings and set up on the edge of the grove and call them up from the heavey cover that is near by.. Make sure they are not useing the vacant grove to bed down in..
Here we have some vacant groves that the coyotes bed down in from time to time so I would set up on a fence line close by or out in the middle of a nearby field and call to the grove..
Here is a short vid. of one of my late in the day stands. I'm set up on a fence line faceing south towards a homestead that is still being lived on and also has the local deer spend the winter there..

I only got one of the four.....
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

The white barn on the southern part of the property to the trees to the south is about 200 yards and the other buildings around are all right there with in 30 feet or so. So just by looking at this would a good place be in the trees or by the barns. I am lost as to what the guy meant by be in the places? NEWBIES. Gotta love em
Attachments
Campbells.jpg
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tobey i dont know what it is like in your area, but in MN if you were to set up by that barn, i highly doubt you will call one in. The main reason is you would be very close to a road!! I would personally get a long a wood edge (depending upon wind and their bedding location) and try to hide the road from them coming in to the call.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

So perhaps the tree line to the south,facing east would be better? At the east end of the field is CRP and creek line and it would continue to end up on my south.

While turkey hunting this field last spring, I seen two coyotes trott across that tree line coming in from the north.