Shooting sticks vs. bipods

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Yote
coyotehunter

Shooting sticks vs. bipods

Post by Yote »

Just curious how many of you use shooting sticks vs bipods and if you sit while on stand or lay prone?
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Re: Shooting sticks vs. bipods

Post by mitchkvernum »

Bipod all the way for my partner and I.. I have tried shooting sticks and I cannot stand them. I know some guys swear by them, but I believe a lot of those guys call down south were shots are 200 yards and under almost 100% of the time..

I use the prone model 9-13" and it works very well. stready as a rock all the way out there.. Some times the snow gets real deep and the bi-pod likes to sink.. I can usually pack the snow down real well and make it work. My partner uses the sitting model (not sure on how many inches it is) We kind of compliment each other real well.. I will lay down and watch a large area that is good anf visible, while my partner sits on his butt and watches an area one could sneak on us.. Also If I see my partner glassing I will watch "underneath" him for any coyotes that will appear while he is not looking. If this does happen I shoot them. He spots a lot od coyotes coming from wayy out there that otherwise we may not see. So it works quite well..

Also if multiples come on since Im laying down I will usually take the coyote further out, and he will take the closer one.. We have this worked out quite well.. When I bark count too two and we both shoot. then pick off the runners.. Im getting off topic but now maybe you see how t he bi-pod can be used in different situations well..
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I use sticks and have a prone bipod on my rifle as well. I let the stand dictate which is should use. I like sticks because if things get wild, I can kick them a way and start swinging on the runners. I am sure mitch can do that with a prone bipod as well but if you have a taller(sitting) bipod and are near any brush, it can get caught up. I have also had coyotes get "under' the bipod and then you cant get a shot. With sticks, if a coyote coming in below you gets under your sticks, you just kick them away and shoot. Neither way is wrong, its just different strokes for different folks. BTW, nice job at the tourny to you guys MItch!

Jaybic
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

I used to use sticks but switched back to a bipod, the sticks just weren't study enough for me shooting past 150. Weather or not I sit or lay down all depends on the area. If I can still see the area well when I'm prone then that is what I do but if I'm having a tough time seeing the area the coyotes will possibly be coming from then I sit.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

On most of my stands I like to lay on my side and have either the sticks or bipod hold the rifle in the ready position and free up my hands for running the caller and glassing.. If I get a coyote that hangs up aways then just remove the sticks and go to the bi-pod for the longer shots.. As for distances I can shoot useing the sticks comfortably is around 300 yds. When walking out to a stand it can be difficult to tell whats over the next hill so I like to be prepared for most conditions....
ky223
coyotehunter

Post by ky223 »

Here were we live you are lucky to get a100 yard shot. Sticks work fine. I always wanted to go hunt somewhere ,were i could get a 300 yd shot.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Harris 9-13" bipod.

Like Mitch said, sometimes the bipod sinks (in fact, that cost me a double last time out), but usually you can pack the snow, or find a hard drift, or a windblown hilltop with less snow.

I hate sitting, I DO have a set of sticks for the rare occasions I have to sit, but I hate doing it (easier to hide laying down, and more accurate). A couple of old arrows taped together makes a handy cheap set of sticks.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I use both at different times.Sticks for sure if I'm humping across big sections.Both for convenience,ease of carry and cause good quality extended sticks allow you to hump fast on snowshoes by serving as a balancing cane.Last weekend in Nodak they kept me from becoming a 'downhill racer' a number of times.
Also stix,by extending/shortening length or just by spreading,give you much more flexibility whether sitting,kneeling or with some even standing.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

There is a good discussion at the link below :wink:

http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/view ... f=16&t=171
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
cole4570
coyotehunter

Post by cole4570 »

I use shooting sticks. Here, we usually have enough snow that even kneeling bipods aren't enough for what I need. I will prone out if I can. But, I have thought about small bipods for those times. I do spend a lot of time during the summer practicing off shooting sticks at the range. I have made some very long shots off of them. It's all about knowing and practicing with your equipment I think.
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.
John Adams
mancimotors
coyotehunter

Post by mancimotors »

I have both. I use my bi pod when Coyote hunting all the time. And it stays mounted all the time.
For Deer Season I mount the bi pod to dead zero my scope before the season starts. Once sighted in, the bi pod comes off and I use a shooting stick to hunt with.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I think a guy needs both in areas where you can get further shots. I like sticks for when the cover is tall and you can't lay down, don't get whimpy ones nice thick sticks with good feed and a nice cradle for your rifle. They are very solid and if you can get your back up against something all the better for a sold steady shot at longer ranges, but laying prone with a nice swivel type harris bi pod and add a mono pod makes this the best for longer range shooting. Both are a good thing my sticks are the thick stoney points light to carry and the bi pod is for when I can lay prone and get a more solid rest, the more contact your body has with solid ground the better off we will all shoot.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I carry/use sticks that are made of 1/2 inch electric fence posts(those white fiberglass ones) and they are sturdy as hell and my rifle wears a prone height bipod so I have both with me all the time. Its just what works for me and the situations that I hunt in. That way I can decide what I need to use when I get to the stand based on snow depth, available cover(prone with the bipod if its a flat or grazed off pasture) or if its too hilly or steep(bipod too short). I gotta agree with TA on this one. Flexability is a great thing.

Jaybic