No Pictures - But I have to share. four dogs on one stand..

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

No Pictures - But I have to share. four dogs on one stand..

Post by mitchkvernum »

I never post a story without pictures but this one is an exception.. I had about two hours tonight to go call, so I loaded up ol' whitey with all the gear and headed out to a little area of mine about 20 minutes from town I like to call :mrgreen: ..

I figured I could make two stands. The first set I hoofed it wayy out to a spot were I took a single earlier this season.. I started with a lone howl and waited. It sounded to be about 4-5 coyotes responding across the road. Now across the road is my "honey hole" and instead of keepin on calling from my spot I decided to just hoof it back to were I believed the coyotes to be!.

After a lot of walking I was setup with the sun setting. I glassed the surrounding areas and spotted a coyote bedded on the side of a hill at about 400 yards..

I thought about sneaking him but decided to just call as I knew other coyotes were very near. I hit the secret sound, and looked to my left and there are two dogs charging up the fence row at me.. They looked to be hungry! I adjusted my rifle and took aim at the second coyote. I barked and dumped him. the second dog veered to my left! I quickly jumped up, rested my gun on the fence post and took a running shot at the other dog! I guessed him to be about 150 yards and he was running at a slight angle so it was a pretty easy running kill!..

Ok sweet a double, I flop back down to my belly and quickly scan the surroundings.. I see nothing.. I grab for my brand new Female estrus whimper call :mrgreen: . The one I was getting made fun of for at the classic :D .. Apparently it calls in more than a guy would think. I watched the DVD on how to use it last night.. The guy on TV called in a pack of four with it!

Anyways I hit the call and made a series. I waited a minuted and did it again, and then again.. about the time im thinking what a piece of junk I look and see a coyote trotting my way from behind the farmers place. He just slowly walked into a hundred fifty and I dropped him.

Ok a triple! At this point all I want is four because I have never done four! I switched off and on from the secret sound, the female whimper, and a distress. I was about to loose all hope when I spot a dog just sitting on its butt. It was right at the spot were I had seen the bedded dog. I do not know if it was him but I ranged him at 420. At this point all wind is gone. I did try to coax him but he was fixing on leaving. I let one fly and it connected! IFour dogs on one stand! A first for me.

Marty has taken five on one stand, Not sure if ill outdo him but I sure came close!

After retrieval I found Ihad taken two adults on the fence row. and then two pups after that. It was sweet!
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Re: No Pictures - But I have to share. four dogs on one stan

Post by coyotebuster »

Awesome story and congrats on the most coyotes shot on stand.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Congrats man ... 4 I dream of 4 hell i dream of my first triple, anyway keep us posted on the "girly call" :D :mrgreen: I actually called in a double at the classic with that sound( I can do it on my howler) only to stand up to soon 45+ min. and get busted..so let us know how you do with it, I just started playing around with the sound??
a proud member of the "IF" team
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

The sound was kind of the "rage" last season for some guys.. Im sure alot of the ADC guys have know about it for a good while.. I love trying new stuff, and have found a lot of sounds that work great from just experimenting 8) .. Im always trying new stuff.
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

Wow !!! Congrats! :D
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Ok. Sorry Dcoy but your out!!! :shock: Mitch is my new hero. 8) :lol: :lol: Keep posting those stories.
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Congrats mitch!!! Keep giving them hell :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

HELL OF A JOB BUD WISH I WAS THERE WE MAY HAVE TO GIVE THEM HELL THIS WEEKEND NOW THAT THE TOUR. ARE OVER THAT IS IF I DO NOT HAVE TO GO LOOK AROUND VALLLEYIF I DO BUD I WILL HAVE TO LEAVE FROM WORK ON SAT. STAY IN VALLLEY LOOK AROUND AND THEN DRIVE BACK TO WORK SUNDAY NIGHT WILL LET YOU KNOW
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

Congrats on the foursome... :D :lol: I really like that female whimper sound to. Never killed anything off of it yet but I think it has a lot of potential.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Mitch your a bastard!!!! LOL congrats bud!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Thanks guys, It was pretty sweeet. :P