Another Montana Doggy

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

cole4570
coyotehunter

Another Montana Doggy

Post by cole4570 »

A lot of you have asked for some more coyote stories/pics from my area of Montana. This Yote was taken on Christmas Eve with a buddy of mine. We hunted a place just north of the town I live in. We were walking into the stand and noticed a group of antelope out about 800 yds. This coyote was perched on a rock watching the herd. I just knew she had to go down and felt obligated to save an antelope or two. We were worried she would spot us right off and of course she did. We sat up in some rocks anyway and thought we would distress her in/ or at least get her away from the herd. After a few minutes on the call she took off on a dead run at us, then went behind a ridge. A few minutes later she re appeared along the fence line and hung up around 400 yds. No one wanted to shoot. I took the rifle off of safe and squeezed off. "click" I forgot to put a round in. The coyote started to walk away. I put a round in and got back on her and fired a round. I hit her in the other front end and she took off. My buddy then finished her off. My shot was ranged at 425 and his at 490. Now before one asks, yes I do practice those shots on a regular basis, because we have those distances here. I am pretty secure in my shooting out to 500 with mild wind. The only reason she was hit a bit far back was due to the fact that she was moving. Other than having the government trapper fly over our area 4 times then do a wing wave at us, it was a good hunt.

Cole

But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.
John Adams
Jeck
coyotehunter

Re: Another Montana Doggy

Post by Jeck »

Who cares where you hit her... not every shot is perfect. It is a dead coyote now!

Anyway, nice shots by both of you and nice pic.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks for the pic
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i would like 100 of those on stretcher right now :shock: . and don't worry, no ones gonna jump your ass here about taking that shot :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

very nice. what caliber are your guy's shoot'n irons?
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Hell, I would have taken that shot and another, and another, and another, and another, and another!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: You guys get my point? :lol: :lol:
Good job guys.
"God hates a coward"
cole4570
coyotehunter

Post by cole4570 »

coyotebuster....

Im using a 22 250 with 40g hornady Vmax on top of varget powder. Im running mine right under 4000 fps. They work great unless there is a lot of wind then they tend to drift a bit more than the ballistic table says, but I overcome that by practice.
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.
John Adams
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:i would like 100 of those on stretcher right now :shock:
Thats the first thing that popped in my head!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Nice coyote, my .204 40 gr Noslers seem to drift less than on papaer.