Old dog I shot today

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tactical.20

Old dog I shot today

Post by Tactical.20 »

I shot this old male with 3 broken and worn canines this am. I spotted him from the west, went to south rd of 2.5x1 mile section. I walked 9/10 a mile to get in range, crawled 10 yds to rest on fenceline drift, easy stalk, shot him while curled up at 130 yds. Looks to be around 8 yrs old. Thin body, easy to drag!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Old dog I shot today

Post by bucksnbears »

thats a neat looking coyote Tac. Your gonna clean out Iowa soon :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

That would be nice, I'm working on it! It would be great to have red fox instead of these smelly things! Well, I'm leaving to find another!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tac are you aging that coyote strictly from the k-9's or did you look at the molars too to come up with 8 years old?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I did look closer, I believe it was younger. I just can't figure out how it damaged its teeth, never seen that before. First glance at the mouth it looked old, but I looked gopod while skinning and it has full length teeth, just three were broken, missing 25-30%. Thats a new one on me, no marks on paws, just broken teeth.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I'm guessing they get an ass kicking once in a while instead of a meal. Maybe he latched onto a large animal (deer etc.) that wasn't in the mood for dyin' that day? Just a wild guess. Good job.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tac - there are a lot of things that can contribute to a coyote having broken k-9's. Feeding on frozen carcasses, fighting, trying to chew bones, etc etc. The coyote looks really well furred except for the rub mark on its neck! Check the tarter lines on the molars and check the molars for sharpness. I think a coyote is one of the hardest animals to judge age on. A lot of it has to do with their lifestyle. When you skin him, check the body out for scars and or marks from old wounds or fighting. Some times a old male will be missing some of the hair on their snout from fighting.
Chris Lyon

NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Sweet dog stalk.
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Lyonch, the neck is fine, I think it was just they way the fur was laying, nothing missing. Only bad part was the hole the bullet maed in the side of the neck! I think I might go back to the 35gr Bergers, these 40gr Noslers are good, but man sometimes the exit is huge!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tactical.20 wrote:Lyonch, the neck is fine, I think it was just they way the fur was laying, nothing missing. Only bad part was the hole the bullet maed in the side of the neck! I think I might go back to the 35gr Bergers, these 40gr Noslers are good, but man sometimes the exit is huge!

It must be the picture then. Where the left shoulder meets his kneck it seems as though there is a rub spot there. The fur looks really heavy on that one :D !! Thanks for the heads up on the bullets you are trying 8) . Keep wacking and stacking those coyotes in Iowa :D
Chris Lyon

Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I think you could be right on the tooth damage. Where I parked my truck, the farmer cleared the snow on a driveway so they could pile the dead pigs for the rendering truck. If he could break his teeth on them, then that could be the answer.
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

He paid 25$ for that male, 20 for the female I got when JW was visiting from WY. JW will do the skull on the one with broken teeth, I'll post the pictures if I get some! He is the one that did my 4x4 mulie.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

sounds like you did pretty good!! Keep us posted on the skull!!!
Chris Lyon