Little bit of nite time calling..

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Little bit of nite time calling..

Post by Tim Anderson »

Been out nite calling every chance I get the last couple of weeks.. I have been useing just a rifle so lights have not been used, just the moon. I did this a little bit last season to see if it made a difference in the responses from my coyotes. I found out it makes a big difference and the coyotes are more comfortable to come in provideing the conditions are right.. I also needed to find out what I needed for equipement to be successful. On a full moon nite you can see the trees in the middle of a mile section and any along a fence line. But I found out you can't see a coyote with the naked eye past 300 yds. Ended up useing a pair of Bino's. and found that i could see a coyote at a half mile if it was moveing from left to right or stood broadside in the open. Comeing in straight away is pretty tuff till they are on top of you.. At nite the coyotes are'nt affraid to cross open fields like they are dureing the day and just by watching them they seem to be pretty comfortable comeing in, not at all on edge looking every which way...
Been finding out they are pretty easey to call in just have to be where they are and present the right sounds, in other words don't be to aggressive with the YOY and be a little aggressive with the older coyotes.. Some good coyote vocals seems to get there attension with a finish up on prey distress sounds.. The hardest part of calling them is seeing them before they get to close, don't want them on top of me... Most of them when they come in just stop out around 100-200 yds and just mill around and look, not looking to excited or worked up. Some like it when I call spareingly and some like it if I just leave the caller play, but I do try to stop the caller when I see them. Like I mentioned I don't want them on top of me..LOL
When looking through the scope the center of the cross -hairs get blacked out on the coyote so you have to use the thicker posts for centering the scope on them and just give the trigger a good squeeze. Youre gonna be blinded for a short time from the muzzle flash and this is a good time to chamber another round and then go to the bino's to find youre next target and then line the rifle up with it before you look through the scope.. On multiples the second coyote seems to stick around for a short spell if you kill the first one but they do tend to move away some from the first and its pretty tuff to judge the distance so I have been letting them go rather than make a bad hit, there is always next time...
Here are a few daytime pic.s of my nite stands which are pretty basic compared to day time calling..

38 pound male I got the other nite out of a pair..
EO caller

Re: Little bit of nite time calling..

Post by EO caller »

Great post and awsome advice Tim. Thats a good looking dog. The front of his legs are really black it looks like. Maybe its just the angle.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thanks. Yes the legs do have a little more black than usual...
ky223
coyotehunter

Post by ky223 »

Wish we could hunt at nite here in KY,but not legal. GOOD PIC.AND STORY
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great informative post Tim!!! Did you notice a difference on the night where the moon was the fullest, compared to the other nights when the moon wasn't? Did you locate these coyotes prior to calling them? I have been trying to do some night calling myself in areas where they run the hounds to see if i can call one in, but for some reason, i have a feeling those hounds really get the coyotes wound up and freak them out. The guy i have been going with has been getting some pics of them on his trail cameras so i know they are in the area.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

I like the dark legs. Nice story.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

lyonch; I have'nt paid much attension to the moon other than the time that it rises and how well I can see. If I can see over the snow then I'm out calling to them.. Some coyotes have been located before hand and some located by just looking for tracks dureing the day and then pattern them so I have a good idea of what section they are in..
I'm limited to where I can make my stands due to a farm site being to close by and them also haveing a dog. Like to be as far away from a farm site with a dog as much as possable and this can also hurt a stand at times cause it can put me too far away from the coyotes.... All I can say is you have to keep trying to call to them to find out if they are going to be responsive, they don't come everytime for various reasons but they will come sooner or later.. Keep after them and good luck....