Dogs?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Rhoades

Dogs?

Post by Rhoades »

Can somebody give me the cliff notes version of how dogs are used in coyote hunting? Do they simply trail the yote till it tires then hold it for the hunter to arrive?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Dogs?

Post by Tim Anderson »

It depends on where you live and what breed or types of dogs are used...
Where I live there is a group of hound runners that use just the scent hounds for running coyotes. What they do is send a handler into a section on a set of fresh tracks with anywhere from 5-8 dogs. After the handler gets into the section aways he releases a few of the dogs on the fresh track and then works his way to the otherside of the heavey cover and if a track is picked up then more dogs are released and put on this track.. What the handler is doing is trying to speed things up to get the dogs onto a coyote or group of coyotes. When the dogs get a coyote up and running the scent hounds just follow the track (one track mind) and the handler may try to get some of the dogs on this track if the coyote got up aways ahead.. At this time the coyote is running to just put some distance between its self and the dogs. The handler will radio the guys on the road that a coyote is up and direction headed... The guys on the road get into position to intersept the coyote and the dogs are close behind at this time. The coyote has one of two choices, take its chances with the 4-8 pick-ups sitting on the road or go back and face the dogs.. Most take on the shooters at the road or may try to circle back and around the dogs if there is room to do so, but will have about the same ending. The shooters on the road will kill it first...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Are you looking for how a decoy dog is used, greyhounds as a site dog, or houndsmen like TA mentioned? If you could be a little more specific, i think you will get a better response on what your asking.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Rhoades

Post by Rhoades »

I have a general idea of how the hounds are used.

So some people use dogs as a decoy? Do you shoot the yote before it gets to the dog I assume?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

decoy dogs or Denning dogs......are for spring/summer control work on maintenance or kill complaints. a good decoy dog with go to a boark or howl and bring denning pairs or intact family groups to you for a shot. the movement and noise from the decoyed coyotes will pull in all the resident coyotes and keep them on location for you to shoot. Once the coyotes are hooked in with the dogs you typically will want to shoot the wet female first and work your way through the remaining coyotes as shot oppurtunities present themselves. after the shot if the coyotes desperse the dogs will gather the remaining coyotes up again and bring them back to you.
Coyotes Forever
M.O.A.
coyotehunter

Post by M.O.A. »

thats kinda neat not very sporting but kinda neat
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

which one do you mean is not very sportin? The decoys or the hounds?
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

M.O.A. wrote:thats kinda neat not very sporting but kinda neat
I don't get this comment at all.
Coyotes Forever
M.O.A.
coyotehunter

Post by M.O.A. »

both r if u ask me but to each his own more power to ua
i do see the need for it as control on over population
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Have you ever seen a decoy dog work? It's not like a border collie gathering a bunch of cows. Do some research. It's really not population control on coyotes either. It's damage control.
"God hates a coward"
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

It is cool when they lock into the dog, helps keep them from seeing you, and ect.
M.O.A.
coyotehunter

Post by M.O.A. »

i did not mean the i wouldnt do it or thats its bad just little unsporting thats all
me i think its neat as he11 and my buddy ran them with coondogs that where mixed with coyotes he said they where the best for it but thats his words not mine
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

If this is so "unsportin" as you like to say, why is it ok to use coon dogs? Why is it "sportin for someone to use a bird dog? Decoy dogs are a very well trained tough dog that work hard to do what they do. i can't speak for runnin em with dogs because I have never done it. I wouldn't go knockin something that I knew nothing about! :x :?
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I am not taking offense.........its just that you do not know what you are talking about is all. :D Now the running them with dogs is one thing, but I do have issues with the trucks up on the roads blocking. I just can not get past the notion of shooting from the truck or blocking with a pickup as being fair chase. scent hounds, sight hounds and decoying is no different than useing short hairs on pheasant, walkers on coon, red bones on lions, so on and so on.........the decoy dogs specifically is a ADC tool and I do believe these dogs, used in trapping, denning, trailing crippels, and decoying year round are the best of the best. I grew up with hounds, collies, heelers and a good all around coyote dog is tough to find and one of the most demanding jobs on a dog. If you knew more about it you would choose your words more carefully.
Coyotes Forever
cb186
coyotehunter

Post by cb186 »

Coyotehunter wrote:I am not taking offense.........its just that you do not know what you are talking about is all. :D Now the running them with dogs is one thing, but I do have issues with the trucks up on the roads blocking. I just can not get past the notion of shooting from the truck or blocking with a pickup as being fair chase. scent hounds, sight hounds and decoying is no different than useing short hairs on pheasant, walkers on coon, red bones on lions, so on and so on.........the decoy dogs specifically is a ADC tool and I do believe these dogs, used in trapping, denning, trailing crippels, and decoying year round are the best of the best. I grew up with hounds, collies, heelers and a good all around coyote dog is tough to find and one of the most demanding jobs on a dog. If you knew more about it you would choose your words more carefully.
I only no about "coyote dogs" from what I've read here, but I agree with you're assessment about running them and blocking with trucks and having 10 guys unloading on them, vs a decoy dog. We use decoys for ducks, turkey and even deer, so coyotes are no different. to me, running coyotes is no different than road hunting deer or pheasants.