Dogs?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

M.O.A.
coyotehunter

Re: Dogs?

Post by M.O.A. »

wow im sorry
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I'm going to shed a little light on the part where they hunt with hounds and block the roads with 10 vehicles or more sometimes. Hound hunting in my eyes isn't as bad as it sounds. Yes it does seem unethical at times, but if you really want the coyotes killed in your area and you have smaller sections to work with, hounds are extremely effective. Guy's will run lions with hounds only to tree it and shoot it, and will bitch about running coyotes with hounds. If you ask me a coyote still stands a chance to either hole up, get across the road in an area they can't run the dogs, etc. etc. I tree'd lion dont stand a chance unless it is one the hunter isn't after :? I really wouldn't knock it until you try or watch it done first hand. I had the same feeling you guys did until i witnessed it first hand. Now greyhounds on the other hand, that isn't even a close sporting match :shock: If you have no soul what so ever then you might be able to watch it, but if you do have a soul, i promise you feelings for that poor coyote will come :o Sorry i don't have a soul :twisted:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Chris,

I have a question for you. I don't know a lot about using greyhounds for coyotes. I do know that their was a local guy that would drive the roads around my grandmas farm and let his greyhounds go when he saw a coyote. When I was like 15, I was walking a coulee for pheasants and one of his greyhounds came walking across the hills towards me. I knew what the dog was out there for, but he must have been seperated from the rest of them. He was a little bloody so he must have tangled with a coyote. I didn't know if he was going to tear in to me or not... thought I might have to shoot him. Turned out it was a nice dog (probably not as nice to the coyotes).

But I would like to know how these guys can run coyotes with greyhounds. They can't control them from going on to posted land... especially when most of the land in the area was posted. The guy never had permission from us or my grandma to run his dogs. These guys have to follow the trespass laws... don't they. I am guessing he was operating under the idea that nobody will mind if he is controling the coyotes.

I wasn't in to coyote hunting much back then, but I would be pissed right now if he was running dogs on our land in some of our calling areas. :evil:

Don't mind if people do it... just not on our private land where we hunt coyotes. :)
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The way i see it done around my area in MN, is that they run the coyote with the black and tan hounds and get them up and going first. The greyhounds are a sight dog only and will only chase one when they see it. The grey hounds ride around in the back of the guys truck until either the driver gets a good visual of one, or the coyote crossed the road. He then grabs a handle in the cab of his truck and all the kennel doors come open and the hounds get out. Sometimes they stand their for a second before they spot it, but when they do, it's game over in a matter of seconds!! He has two dogs that are what he calls his kill dogs. They wear a leather collar the entire length of their neck. The faster greys he has as the catch/bay dogs. Once they get caught or bayed, the kill dogs get in there and the fur litteraly starts to fly!! These grey hounds are almost a 100% sure thing everytime he lets them out. there is no worry about Joe Blow shooting his brand spanking new coyote seeking missle/rocket at a coyote and missing it. You wont be able to save the pelts from the grey hounds but these guys are in it just for the sport of watching a dog work rather than making money at it. I myself prefer to see a coyote come to a call rather than watch it get ran to a rode and shot or mauled, but to each their own. To just let the hounds run around freely on private land with no permission is grounds to have them shot in MN in a heart beat. Some landowners are so stuck on their deer, that they will protect them like they were their own kids. These are the guys that will shoot the hounds the secong they step a foot on their property. 99% of people in the area want the coyotes gone, but there is always those select few that say no. Everytime i have seen a set of hounds dropped in a section the owner of the dogs has permission (written slips too that are signed by each landowner) for them to be on every property in that section to run coyotes. The only other "legal" way i know of that is more effective than hounds and a bunch of trucks surrounding a section, is an airplane with a good gunner in it!
Chris Lyon

Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

The use of a dog for a decoy in calling is real effective. Seems they see that dog standing or walking near the distress calls and they seem to act like, there is the one that is killing rabbits in my area. I had one approach from my right shoulder, I was able to swing the rifle slowly with each stalking step the male took to stalk my poor little doggie! I shot him at 30-35 yds I swung the last foot to line up my scope on his chest, then he noticed the movement, it was like , Huh? whats that-boom he dropped.
M.O.A.
coyotehunter

Post by M.O.A. »

as a decoy it sounds good but the running them to trucks just dont sound fun theydo the shit here with deer and it aint cool at all
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well we have to make sure we do not try to make the comparison between sport hunting and control work. The notion that anyone is doing effective control work in Minnesota in the dead of winter is just not steeped in any facts. The use of a pickup on the road is a poor comparison to hound hunting lions in the mountains on foot. It ain't hunting if you are sitting in a your pickup............you would not do that deer hunting, duck hunting, pheasant hunting..........but guys will make the argument that it is sporting or OK to do with coyotes. Get out of the truck, and park the snowmobile. you can hunt with dogs on foot, track with with collars if need be. The big issue is the running up and down the roads in the truck BLOCKING and shooting at anything that happens to try to cross in front of your truck. If some guy is driving down the road and a deer runs in front of the truck, he jumps out and shoots it. Then runs around town bragging about the trophy buck he shot?!?! How about road hunting ditches for pheasant. Ever set up decoys and have guys shoot at your geese or ducks as there setting in on your spread. I was in minnesota calling in a tournament years ago. I made a long stalk on a coyote, set up started calling, he got within 500+ yards or so then here comes the snowmobiles.............that was the end of the stand. He just turned tail and ran. My dad and brother just this fall made a stalk on some bedded coyotes from two different directions. both on foot, one the caller the other a BLOCKER if they headed to far down wind, Just as my brother was starting to call here comes a group of Minnesota hunters with their radios, pickups, AR's tearing down the shelter belt shooting trying to jump anything to push it up to the road for the BLOCKERS to shoot at. This is in North Dakota on private land. Know one got the coyote and my brother with in the belt as these idiots were driving down shooting.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Coyotehunter wrote:Well we have to make sure we do not try to make the comparison between sport hunting and control work. The notion that anyone is doing effective control work in Minnesota in the dead of winter is just not steeped in any facts. The use of a pickup on the road is a poor comparison to hound hunting lions in the mountains on foot. It ain't hunting if you are sitting in a your pickup............you would not do that deer hunting, duck hunting, pheasant hunting..........but guys will make the argument that it is sporting or OK to do with coyotes.
My following post is what i have witnessed from 3 different hound hunting groups: I would have to say for a group of houndsmen to take out 100 plus coyotes in the months of december, januray, and february, (all done on the weekends, most are Friday, Saturday, Sunday) is a pretty effective way at killing coyotes in minnesota (it might not be specific control work, but yet effective). There is nothing a person can do about it, if it is legal. We need to remeber that society has pegged the coyote as a non game species, thus resulting in loose regulations/rules that need to be followed. When hunting coyotes with hounds, they keep on running, where as most lions that are ran with hounds get treed with no where to go! They both end in the same result (a harvested animal). Running around shelter belts and literally chasing them with a truck is whole nother ball game. Hound hunters place people in startegic spots where coyotes have tried to use that area as an escape route ahead of time, before they run the hounds on a track. These are the people that shoot approximately 75% of the coyotes. The guy's sitting in the truck on the road from an advatage point are usually trying get a visual on the coyote when it breaks out, to radio the person it is heading to and give them a heads up. If the coyote gets pass that person undetected, or missed from being shot at, is when the guy in the truck will try to "block" the coyote from leaving the section, or he will try to kill it. I have yet to witness a guy actually shooting out of his truck at a coyote while hunting with hounds. they all get out of the truck with the gun and bullets in hand (can't have loaded gun in mn) and literally need to load their gun and then shoot it. Yes sometimes this is an AR or similar version where it only takes a clip, but a lot of guys still shoot a bolt action rifle. Sometimes a coyote wont leave an area and just keep doing circles; this is where the guy who brought the dogs in, will set up and wait until the coyote comes around the circle again. I use to cuss these people out myself and call it "unsporting" at one time too, but until you actually witness this done first hand can you draw a conclusion on what houd hunting is all about. Dont' get me wrong not every group of houndsmen are the same. There are some that flat out wreck things over a coyote and break every law that is out their and claim they are protecting the deer :roll: . I could write a book on this topic going into all the specific details as a caller looks into this hound hunting. I for one still prefer to call my coyotes in!! I have yet to see first hand a decoy dog at work, but yet i am intersted and wont make my assumption about it until i witness it with my own eyes. This coyote hunting is no different than any other sport where it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us :evil:
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

a hundred coyotes in that time of year in my humble what the hell do I know opinion does nothing to control coyotes in minnesota in a way that will effect a deer population. If you are hunting out of a pickup and useing a motorized vehicle to herd your game.............well i guess we just disagree on what hunting is.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Hunting with hounds AND pickups is killing not hunting. Fairly similiar to using an airplane. If you want to keep coyotes out of a certain section or township lets say then i could see where it would do some good running that same piece of property all the time never letting them get set up in there. However most hounds and pickup crews cover a lot of ground going where they expect coyotes that is not controlling that is mixing "hunting" with killing. Running coyotes with hounds on foot would be hunting in my opinion.

Just thought i would put in my two cents.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Welcome back PG!! 8) Musta been busy. I definitely agree on the pickup and dog deal.
"God hates a coward"
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Rhoades- Did you get more info than you asked for? haha

Well I have to say that it's been interesting reading everyone's comments about the use of hounds on coyotes.
The only experience I've had with them is the use of the hounds as decoy dogs along with the use of a caller. This seems to work great out here! My father-in-law and husband both use their hounds in this manner during the spring and summer months. There's been a few times I know that they wouldn't have probably got the coyote(s) shot if it wasn't for the decoy dog either. If nothing else they are a great distraction that keeps the coyote from seeing you or any movement you might make. It seems like once they are locked on to that hound it is "game on". The trick is having a good decoy dog that knows what to do when that coyote locks on to them or when they spot/smell the coyote/coyote trail! Then there are denning dogs...my father-in-law has quite the little female blue-tick that will find a den like none other...then once she gets a hold of the pups they're done for. She's the most coyote-hating dog I think I've ever heard stories about (haven't got to watch her work yet). Funny cuz if you looked at her you'd never think it since she's pretty small and dainty!
Anyways...I guess the point I want to make about the use of hounds is don't knock it until you try it or at least investigate into it a bit more.
These dogs are amazing to see at work! Very, very, very hard working dogs...especially when you have a good one! :)
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

nice to see you back rodeo.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Nice to be back bucks! Unfortunately, probably won't hear from me for a while again once baby arrives... :( We are due any day now and don't have internet at home so I'll have to find some time to get somewhere and get on the internet and do some checking in! Wouldn't want to miss out on too much ya know! ;)

Hope you all are having a successful summer and are all ready for this fall/winter!! :D I know my husband and I both are!! Can't wait to shoot and snare/trap some coyotes that are worth something instead of these stinking summer coyotes! I shouldn't say summer coyotes aren't worth anything...it sure does make the ranchers/outfitters happy to see dead coyotes instead of dead lambs/calves/deer/antelope...! :D