A day in Illinois

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

singleshot1
coyotehunter

A day in Illinois

Post by singleshot1 »

Late post but here it is anyway...Saturday January 29th started out like most of our weekends with my cousin and I wondering why in the hell we are getting up so early to drag our butts through the nut deep snow and then we remember how much fun coyote hunting is and if you know us we always have a little extra fun :lol: After a couple uneventful set ups that morning we decide to take a drive a see if we can spot one out and about and thats just what happened. Out in the middle of a 1.5x1.5 mile section is a pair of coyotes balled up sleeping and after a lap around the section surveying it we also spot a fox sleeping out there! The plan is made that i will be stalking in since someone (not to mention names) has a bad foot and conveniently can't do much walking in the snow. So off i go with the wind in my face this should be a easy stalk right? Well a 100yds in i bump a third coyote out of a fence row and had to think long and hard about not shooting that one because i didn't want to wake up the other two, so with my partner in the truck keeping an eye on that one i continue on my way towards the pair. I crest the hill at about 200yds and see that they are still sleeping but when i get down on the bi-pod i can't see them, so now i belly crawl another 75yds to where i can use the bi-pod and see them clearly. Once i catch my breath and get steady off goes the safety BANG SMACK first one never knew what hit it! The second one is off to the races straight away first shot miss, second shot BANG FLOP! 2 down and looking for more. I grab these 2 and get to the top of the hill and we have lost track of the third one so now i'm off after the fox which is still sleeping through all this. This stalk wasn't as well laid out, he busts me and is off and running so up over the hill i go again to try and get a shot or 2 or 3..third one connects :D :D :D Thats 2 coyotes and one fox on one stalk i'm feeling pretty good until i have to drag them back to the road through wet knee deep snow without snow shoes on :oops: at this point i need a break so down the road we go looking for more when we spot another fox, so good ole one foot gets out and feeds him a round out of the 22-250.

Now for the little extra fun part :twisted: "The kill block challenge" is on! :lol: Since we we're seeing possums everywhere that day we decided we would try and kill block a live possum :?: :?: :?: Have you ever seen how mad a possum can get when your trying to stick a block of wood in its mouth??? but when you do get it in there they sure do chomp down on it pretty good :!: :!: and yes he is very much alive :!: :!:

oh yeah and at one point we some how had a live possum in the truck.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Story for another day
" Do you squeal too...? "
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: A day in Illinois

Post by lyonch »

Thanks for the comical story and great pics!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

sweet deal on the triple sneek and running fox are not easy :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

Very nice shooting fellas! Were you guys in a tournament? I am just curious why the coyote have blocks in the mouths and the fox don't.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good job guys. seems you have a fetish with putting wood blocks in the mouths of un-willing participants :lol: :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:good job guys. seems you have a fetish with putting wood blocks in the mouths of un-willing participants :lol: :lol:
Hey from what I heard she was willing, just wanted to know "whats with the block" :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is going to stick for a LONG TIME!!!! Can't imagin who is going to top that one, and how :shock:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

CRAP BUCKS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I about fell off my freakin chair I was laughing so hard. Where in the hell did you get that crazy ass mind of yours?
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have never seen anyone try to put a kill block in a possum but I did see a guy try to put one on a North Dakota Hog!!!! she was so excited she even snorted a couple of times!!
Coyotes Forever
singleshot1
coyotehunter

Post by singleshot1 »

1dogdown wrote:Were you guys in a tournament[/quote

1dogdown - Yes we were, the fox didn't count in that one but couldn't not take the shot. :D
bucksnbears wrote: seems you have a fetish with putting wood blocks in the mouths of un-willing participants
Bucs - they are all willing some just have more questions than others on why i want to though :lol: :lol:
Optimax90 wrote:That is going to stick for a LONG TIME!!!! Can't imagin who is going to top that one, and how
Optimax - you only saw half of what could happen, if my cousin would have been at my side things could have been real interesting......Next year :lol: :D :shock:
Coyotehunter wrote:she was so excited she even snorted a couple of times!!
Coyotehunter - the million dollar question though is "did she squeal"? :shock: :D
" Do you squeal too...? "