It just makes me mad

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

243yote
coyotehunter

It just makes me mad

Post by 243yote »

This is my first season of coyote hunting and for the first year i feel like i have done pretty good. I have called in 4 dogs that i have killed and i have lost count of the number of coyotes i have busted because i tryed to get to close or that have hung up out of range. For example last weekend i went out and spotted one going into a corn field so i circled around and got in front of him and when i was going to park the truck i spotted 2 more sleeping in the bean field next to the corn field so i had to park on the road and walk much farther than i planned on. In the end i spooked the 2 that were sleeping but i think that is because the snow was so CRUNCHY! I decided to set and call anyways because the pit i was setting next to was covered with sign and after about 2 minutes of calling i see one running right at me through the corn field then he stopped about 200yards out and turned and walked back over the hill. I pay attention to the wind and my scent and i try to hide the best i can but these are some crafty critters and they are by far the hardest animal i have ever went after at least they are the hardest to figure out. Is there any advice you guys may have that could help my frustration?
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Re: It just makes me mad

Post by coyotebuster »

There will always be times of frustration, no matter how good at calling you are. Sounds to me like you have the right idea though, play the wind, try and keep the truck out of sight, don't skyline yourself and practice shooting your rife to the farthest distance you are comfortable shooting so you are able to capitalize on the shots you are given. Keep at it!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

When you start out, any coyote that gets within 200 yards (open country) should be a dead coyote if it stops for any amount of time beforing it leaves. Practice your gun out to distances that you think you can't shoot, so when they do come within the comfortable 200 range, it will seem like a chip shot.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

there are SO many variables that come into play with coyotes. some come easy as pie, some will make you pull out your hair!. keep after it and try to learn what works at what does'nt.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

lyonch wrote:When you start out, any coyote that gets within 200 yards (open country) should be a dead coyote if it stops for any amount of time beforing it leaves. Practice your gun out to distances that you think you can't shoot, so when they do come within the comfortable 200 range, it will seem like a chip shot.
Second that!! If they stop and look squirly 200 is a no brainer.......
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Optimax90 wrote:
lyonch wrote:When you start out, any coyote that gets within 200 yards (open country) should be a dead coyote if it stops for any amount of time beforing it leaves. Practice your gun out to distances that you think you can't shoot, so when they do come within the comfortable 200 range, it will seem like a chip shot.
Second that!! If they stop and look squirly 200 is a no brainer.......
yep. this one was about 200 and was starting to get squirrely.. definatley a "no brainer" :lol: :lol: :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

HA!!! You must of shot that with like a .280 or somthing..... :wink:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

No tracking needed on that one :D and 243yote trust me it don't get any easier we all learn from our "IF ONLY" :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
243yote
coyotehunter

Post by 243yote »

thanks for the input guys. I practiced the other day out to 200 and it shouldn't be a problem now i just have to find time to get back out. I have a score to settle with a few dogs. hopefully i can put a few more down soon because the crappie will be in the creeks soon and that will take up all my time catching a limit everynight after work/college.
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

:lol: :lol: That photo is gross!! Now I know how Bucks does so well in all the tourneys! He uses a rocket launcher. It must be an effective way to kill multiples! :lol: It looks like this one took a direct hit to the melon!!