hung up coyotes

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kmg
coyotehunter

hung up coyotes

Post by kmg »

Last evening i setup in a really good location on the corner of a timber looking across field at other pieces of timber. wind was in my favor and calm. i had a yote challenge me here a few days ago, so i started out with challenges. i had a pair about 500 yards away barking and challenge howling, they sounded pretty mad. i repeated thier sounds, which were lots of short barks and a short howl every so often. this went on for about 20 mins. when it got dark, a group of 2-3 younsters howled about 400 yards in the other direction and i heard several other groups farther away. the pair kept barking every time i would challenge them they just seemed to get madder and more intense. finally i had to sneak out because of low light. they were still barking when i got back to the truck. i tried ki yi, female invitation, but nothing seems to bring them in. coyotes in this area i think are a little shy to rabbit distress. ive got a female whimper randy anderson call but i cant get it to sould the way it should. any ideas on what will bring them in? i thought for sure they would come they sounded so pissed
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: hung up coyotes

Post by lyonch »

Get in closer to their comfort zone.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
kmg
coyotehunter

Post by kmg »

that was my first thought but theres a property line that i prolly shouldnt cross.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

that property line could possibly be their boundary line that they wont cross. I would get right on that line and give it another shot.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

there is a whole thread for guys who are new to coyote hunting, bunch of great info in there. Have you taken time to read through some of that material? http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=44
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I don't like to post advice on calling because there are guys around here who know far more about it than I do. Having said that, I like to stop calling well before shooting light is gone. I've seen alpha dogs wait until well after the racket has died down before coming in to investigate. Last fall I had a BIG male take 45 min. to come less than a 1/4 mile through thick crp. That's 45 minutes from when I saw him and stopped calling till when he left cover to try to circle around me. Bastard sat in the crp and growled at me for a long time before he stepped out. You might say he was a bit paranoid.