A Few Successful Stands After Work!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jeck
coyotehunter

A Few Successful Stands After Work!

Post by Jeck »

Well, I got off work at 4:30 pm and decided I would make a few calls on the way home. I figured I would only get 2 or 3 stands in, but I had all my gear in the truck and it was a nice evening. Sunny, 3 degrees, and light 5 mph SW winds . So, I headed to an area I hadn't called before... but figured it might be good for a coyote.

I parked behind a large bladed ridge of snow and walked a 1/2 mile down a snowed in section line trail so I could get away from the main road. The one good thing about all the snow is that some of the bladed up drifts are big enough to hide the truck behind when hunting some of the flat lands. I sat down and called for a while. I was about 18 min. into my call (I dont usually sit much longer than that), and I didn't think any thing was going to come in. But, it was a nice area and I figured there were coyotes out there that could hear my calls. So, I switched up my calling a little bit and sat for a few more minutes. All of sudden, two coyotes popped over a rise in the field 250 yds out. They came from the direction I parked the truck... good thing for the bladed up snow drifts. I mouse squeeked them to about a 150 yds. The trailing coyote (male) gave me a broadside shot and I dropped him. The female didn't waste any time getting out of there. She grabbed a low spot and was gone. I never did get a shot at her. Oh well, one stand - two coyotes called - one down. Not bad for a quick evening hunt.

My next spot, I decided to call an area I had tried (unsuccessfully) in the past. It is along a more commonly traveled county road. I know there are coyotes in the area, but it is unposted and i think they get a little more calling pressure. I parked behind another ridge along the road and walked in. I set up and started calling. I did a female howl to start off the sequence, and had one talking back from a ways away. I then did my normal calling sequence but nothing was moving. I could see most of the area for a 1/2 mile. So, this was going to be more of a long range call. I decided I would try what brought the pair in on the last stand. I called for a minute or so, and here comes two on a dead run through a cut sunflower field. They came from over a 3/4 of a mile away. I stopped calling when I saw them at about 600 yds. They kept coming and then hung up at 350 yds. I mouse squeeked them in to about a 150 yds. They started to parallel me to get down wind. I took the back one when she stopped. She went into her death spin... and I swung on the other one. He was heading straight away but not going to hard. I ki-yi'd him, and he stopped for a split second. He didn't stand long enough for a shot. He then turned and headed broadside from me at 350 yds. I couldnt get him to stop, so I let a few fly. Well, after the first shot he took like his ass was on fire. Needless to say, I didn't connect on the second coyote to make it a double. Oh well, two calls, four coyotes, and two dead.

The second picture is bad. The camera phone just doesn't do well in low light.

All in all, I saw 7 coyotes (4 called and 3 from the road between stands). Not a bad night for just sneaking out after work. The first coyote was a real nice 27.5 lb male. The second coyote was a female. She was starting to rub. The fur on the shoulders was getting a little thin.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: A Few Successful Stands After Work!

Post by bucksnbears »

nice!! :D . gotta love it when we can carry our hunting stuff to work with us :D . i do it quite often myself...maybe to often :mrgreen: .i wonder what would have happened if you had'nt shot at the male?? he may have come sneaking back soon looking for her. i seen that happen at the Classics. shot the female and the male lit out. on the way back to the truck, i seen him sneaking back in 15 minites later
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good Stuff, how does the fur look yet?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post Jeck!!! I see on the hind legs of that first one you shot, it is rubbed really bad from the deep snow (the gray stripe on each leg up by the belly in the pick) This rub doesn't hurt the fur value at all, but it is a sign showing how deep the snow is out there.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Thanks guys!
bucksnbears wrote:I wonder what would have happened if you had'nt shot at the male?? he may have come sneaking back soon looking for her. i seen that happen at the Classics. shot the female and the male lit out. on the way back to the truck, i seen him sneaking back in 15 minites later
That is my problem Bucks... I am a little trigger happy sometimes. :mrgreen: I just couldn't let him go without firing a few shots at him. I did ki-yi him to get him to stop... he just didn't stick around long enough for a shot. I think I shoulda stayed on the call a little longer. He may have stopped again...

Knowing when to shoot and when not to can definintely be the limiting factor on how many multiples a guy shoots in a year. I am still learning that part! It becomes even more important in the tournys... it can cost a guy a few places.

LeviM wrote:Good Stuff, how does the fur look yet?
The fur on the first coyote was real nice. He still had a nice thick coat. As Chris pointed out, he was a little worn on the legs. There has definitely been alot of snow for the coyotes to deal with. We had some warm temps last week. It melted off alot of the hill tops and some parts of the fields... making life alot easier on the wildlife. It has also made it easier to walk. I have been out twice in the last 4 days and haven't needed the snow shoes yet. There is still ALOT of snow... but I can cruise over the top of it. It is like concrete now.

The second coyote looked like hell. Besides me gutting him... :mrgreen: He was rubbed pretty good on the shoulders.

Here is a little better look at the fur on the first coyote.

Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

way to go man :D I did a simular deal mon. afternoon... but not the same results that you had :x :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Nice work Jeck! :D I was always told that if youget him stopped and don't have time to get the standing shot to take the running one. You can hit them on the run. You never know,e
especially in heavy called and hunted areas if you'll ever get another chance. O'Gorman says to take the shot. I'm like you , I just can't stand to see them getting away with out trying! 8) 8)
"God hates a coward"
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Thanks guys!

I am going to go out and try to give them hell on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully they are responding like they were on Monday. The forecast looks good for calling. :D
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

hell of a job jack
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

jeck sry
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Thanks Marty! Nice job to you and Mitch. I saw you guys are well over 200 this year. That is awesome!

I finished up the week with 9 coyotes. I called 8 and snuck 1. That is my best week so far. I got the 2 on Monday night, 4 on Friday, and 3 in the wind Yesterday (Saturday). I should have had a few more... I left a couple out there. :evil: I had to lay around today and recover... oh well - it is a windy sucker today.