Crazy Tuesday!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1dogdown
coyotehunter

Crazy Tuesday!

Post by 1dogdown »

Since my brother had some luck monday night and there was no school on tuesday I decided to take my 7 year old out with me to do some calling. The temperature was in the teens with a 10-15 sw wind. On our first stand we walked in a 1/2 mile and set up. I had him face to the east and I set up looking west. Five minutes into the stand I happen to look over his way and spot a hard charger at 75 yards and closing fast! I get repositioned and at 40 yards, the coyote must have winded us and was leaving as fast as he showed up. Bang!...flop. My son stands up and says "Cool!...you got him. I look back to the west and there stands another at 200 yards on the hillside. I tell him to get back down as I leveled the crosshairs on the second one. Bang!...smack! The second coyote takes off over the hill and did not even react like it was hit.

Upset that I thought I missed the second coyote, we walked down and picked up the first one. We walked up to where the second was standing....No blood! We followed the tracks for about 30 yards and there in the snow is two drops of blood. We continue following the blood and as we top the hill, I spot two coyotes out on the flat, 250 yards out! I can't get a shot due to the terrain so I decide to sit down and try to lip squeek them. One comes on a dead run, jumping up on its hind legs, trying to see over the crown of the hill. It holds up at 170 yards and won't come any closer. I decide to take the shot even though it was a quartering on shot...Bang...miss! Damn I forgot to allow for the cross wind! :x I never was able to get a second shot.

We continued to trail the second coyote and the trail led to where the last two coyotes were standing. As we got closer, there laid coyote #2.
(The coyote on the left is the first coyote he was pretty rough looking! The second coyote on the right was in pretty nice shape.)

So off to our second stand we go. The next area is down on some river bottom land. We walk in and set up. I told my son to watch the trees to the right and I would watch the meadow straight in front of us. The river is off to our left and if anything was going to wind us it was going to have to get wet! :lol: Im on my third series of calls when I look over and see my son sleeping.. :lol: and right in line with him is a coyote walking away from us in the trees. He is working his way to the left and I know he will eventually step out into the meadow. Finally not 1, but 3 coyotes step out at about 220 yards and are trotting quartering away.The second one finally stops to look back as the lead one drops down into a low spot. Now at 275 yards, I level the cross hairs and let one fly! Bang..smack and down into the low spot he goes! All of a sudden the first coyote pops out low spot and is running right at us! I let him keep coming and at 175 yards he stops to look back for his two friends! Bang..flop!

We walked in to investigate the first shot. No hair,no blood...Nothing! The first one must have been a clean miss! Oh well, we still got one!
On our way into spot #3, I was walking on a hard snow drift, trying to cross a cattail slough. I broke through and went up to my knees into ice cold water! :x Needless to say it ended our day! I had a chance to shoot my first triple and beat my personal best of 4 in one day! Neither happened but theres always next time!
DustyC

Re: Crazy Tuesday!

Post by DustyC »

NICE!!!! 8) I can't wait until my boys are old enough to go.
"God hates a coward"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

wow it came together nice for ya, when your trying to do a personal best day... Misses sure do suck :twisted: but that part of the deal that keeps you going and going :D I can't count on how many times the kids fell asleep out hunting, even with duck and goose calls,pred. calls blarring away only to wake up to gun fire or me hissing at them, :lol: :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

Last year he did not want much to do with going coyote hunting . He acted like we were hunting grizzly bears or something!! :lol: :lol: I took my youngest son (4yrs old) out in October on fairly warm day. We called in a nice big male on our first stand. I let it come to about 50 yards before I anchored it. The look on my 4 year olds face was priceless! When we got home all he would talk about is how dad shot this big coyote. It sparked a little more interest into my oldest son. I work shift work so I only get weekends off every other month. With my oldest in school we don't get alot days to go hunting together. :( These were the first coyotes he has seen called in and shot. He now has the fever!! He is already asking how long he has to wait till he can shoot one and when we can go again! :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good to see the youngster out!! Good stuff
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

cool story. that 1 coyote still looks like a dandy. :D 1'st rifle i've seen in moons that still has front sight still on :P
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

Bucks, thats not a front sight! Thats where my bayonet slides on!...lol. Its for the really close ones! :P
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

:lol: :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

:shock: threres a hell of an idea, I remember when I took my now 16 year old out he must have been 5-6 we sat down and called he had 2 come to his left and at 30-40 yds they stop and he missed only to empty his clip at them running :evil: I was laughing and tryed to kill one but no luck He was shooting his ruger 10-22 and behind them every time...Priceless :D I think he took out the frustration on every rabbit in the grove :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great Post!! I love reading about the youngsters getting involved :D That coyote on the right in the first picture looks like it has a really nice coat on it yet 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
CoyoteAssassin

Post by CoyoteAssassin »

That's awesome sounds like a good day to me! :) Congrats
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great read i'm starting to bring my boys out little by little. They still think that riding on the four wheeler is the best part about checking equipment! :lol:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!