Western Washington

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

oldrookie
coyotehunter

Western Washington

Post by oldrookie »

My son and I are new to hunting coyotes. Curious to know if anyone else on this site live on our side of the mountains. Right now we're hunting with a Marlin .22 Magnum. I plan on buying a .22-250 at some point, but in the thick stuff we hunt in most shots aren't more than 50 or 60 yards. I went out after a snow, found the tracks, and on my 1st try called in a coyote with a fawn bleat (hand call). It came in so quick I wasn't ready and after sitting and staring for a few moments it sniffed the air and ran off. So now I'm hooked. The next day I called one in but was moving around because my ass was getting wet and all I saw were tracks where it came and left. My questions- anyone on here on my side of the Cascades? If so, what kinds of calls are you using? I work with a couple of guys that swear by the Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler. Most of the Primos calls seem pretty junky. On the east side of the mountains I have often heard the howls and yips, but not so much on this side. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I have gotten tons of info on this site, but would really like to hear from some people familiar with my "neck of the woods". Thanks all
EO caller

Re: Western Washington

Post by EO caller »

oldrookie wrote:My son and I are new to hunting coyotes. Curious to know if anyone else on this site live on our side of the mountains. Right now we're hunting with a Marlin .22 Magnum. I plan on buying a .22-250 at some point, but in the thick stuff we hunt in most shots aren't more than 50 or 60 yards. I went out after a snow, found the tracks, and on my 1st try called in a coyote with a fawn bleat (hand call). It came in so quick I wasn't ready and after sitting and staring for a few moments it sniffed the air and ran off. So now I'm hooked. The next day I called one in but was moving around because my ass was getting wet and all I saw were tracks where it came and left. My questions- anyone on here on my side of the Cascades? If so, what kinds of calls are you using? I work with a couple of guys that swear by the Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler. Most of the Primos calls seem pretty junky. On the east side of the mountains I have often heard the howls and yips, but not so much on this side. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I have gotten tons of info on this site, but would really like to hear from some people familiar with my "neck of the woods". Thanks all
I'm over hear in Eastern Oregon and I do some guiding in South East Washington for predators. My uncle owns a shooting preserve in Prescott and has me come help call coyotes when he is busy. Took two guys from Seattle out last weekend and I called in three coyotes to about 30 yards in one stand. They had a little coyote fever but had a great time. If you want I can PM you the number if your interested.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
oldrookie
coyotehunter

Re: Western Washington

Post by oldrookie »

That'd be great. I have some friends I work with that live out that way too.