Shooting Coyotes with V-max Bullets...

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Shooting Coyotes with V-max Bullets...

Post by LeviM »

CL-I am really learning alot from your posts, Doing a quick search, I see Nosler has a 90 grain accubond for .243. Do you know how these compare to Hornady Interbonds? I see the Nosler Accubonds have a BC of .376, compared to Hornady's Interbonds of .395.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Levi I just learned something from you! This must be a new offering from Nosler last year nosler only went as low as the .25 caliber! I have used the 110's in my 25-06 and they hammered deer really hard and the few coyotes I shot with them did a decent job most exits where liveable but they flat sucked the life out of stuff with amazing fashion. I shot 2 antelope at 530 yrds one dropped over stone dead and the other a Buck went about 20 ft and piled up. Numrous deer from 430 to 100 yrds and none went past 10 yards from contact. A friend I turned onto them used them bear hunting in his 25-06 super groups and the bear went 15 ft maybe stone dead.

The accubonds are very similar to the hornady inter bonds when you look at cost the Hornady offerings are 2.00-3.00 or so per 100 cheaper. Performance real close to the same. The hornadys come in 100 count boxes and the noslers are 50 count boxes. I suspect the nosler will be a tad longer than the hornadys and with a 1-9 twist might have more bearing surface than the 85's so accuracy might be a tad better? I want to shoot these 85's and see how they shoot before I go to any other bullet because of the BC.

Cost for Hornady is 37.49 per 100 and Noslers are I bet will be around 21.00 or 23.00 per 50.

Might be worth buying a box of 50 and seeing how they compair accuracy wise to the Hornadys??? :D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[OK the .243 coyote the above pic Tim why so much blood? because they just jello the insides and many of them pour out blood from all the internal damage from exspansion but moving on thru the vitals. If your assuming I covering something up you would be wrong!

/quote]

CL was just makeing a joke about the little bit of blood.... :)
I normaly don't see that much blood from my coyotes unless I had them stacked up in the back of the truck .....
Thats why I posted the group pic..

[quoteTim FWIW time for a new and different Glory SHOT photo.]
Yep youre right but I stopped takeing pic. this season. Most don't care to see them and others like you think its just a glory shot.. I guess we look at things a little different... :)
I usually look at a picture and look over the condition of the animal, fur or coloration, how much blood or parts missing , size of the animals and so on....
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i like pic's of dead stuff :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

LOL. After youre season you would think you seen enough.. :lol: :lol:
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Here's a 40 grain V-max in action out of a .204. Fairly close range, didn't do any sewing on the hide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGaWjzsWwHw[/video]
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Just want to say I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Lot's of good stuff in there.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Sat down and started reading my recently received issue of Varmint Hunter Magazine(#78,April 2011) last nite.Not a really scientific study but a VHA member has a very interesting article on "Bullet Performance After Hitting Small Objects" on page 172.He shot assorted bullets through full beer cans and water filled balloons.Not exactly 'media penetration' tests like those done by others but very interesting nonetheless.IMO clearly shows the difference between BTs and other assorted bullets such as V Max,Sierra match,Varmint Grenades,etc.
Much to the authors surprise,the 40 gr BTs 'went straight through' leaving a 'perfectly round 22 sized hole' in the paper.The others fragged fully or in part.
Maybe worth reading if you shoot them.
Good hunting.
dlynch
coyotehunter

Post by dlynch »

I'm new to this board and found this topic very interesting. I shoot a 22-250 and use hornady superformance with the 50gr vmax. has any one got an opinion on this load? I've had good luck with it. don
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

what powder and velocity are you getting?
REDTAIL
coyotehunter

Post by REDTAIL »

Better off trying head shots on them, if your Rifle is zeroed in to hit that small mark. :mrgreen: