Shooting Coyotes with V-max Bullets...

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

MCSO961B
coyotehunter

Re: Shooting Coyotes with V-max Bullets...

Post by MCSO961B »

had the same problem, one coyote gets its guts blown out and the next has minimal pelt damage
had the same problem, one coyote gets its guts blown out and the next has minimal pelt damage
yote1.jpg (3.27 KiB) Viewed 62771 times
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

coyotelatrans,

If you're doing damage work with a 243, i'll push you into the 90g bergers they do some damage. Trust me, they're rough on stuff.
the 90's have a bc of .410 which isn't bad for their size. I was pushing them around 3100fps. with varget 1-10" twist Sako. I've shot a few with this load. ;)
The 87g Vmax didn't do so bad either, but i wanted consistency.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Tried the bergers just not a fan. Besides damage isn';t my main concern dead coyotes are, no matter the hit. We all like to place the bullet in the correct spot but we all have times when that doesn't happen, so I choose a bullet that can still deliver in such cases. Most of the damage is minimal; really is, but dead coyotes are the end result far more for ME than using varmint type offerings. If I where fur shooting I wouldn't change a thing. I was surprised when I made the switch a few years back, I thought the damage overall would be much greater than it turned out to be, another benefit from choosing these type of bullet offerings.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Heres what the cross sections of the Nosler and V-max BT bullets look like.

Nosler.
nosler xsection.jpg
V-max
hornady xsection.jpg
hornady xsection.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 62760 times
These photos are not of like caliber/weight bullets. But I have seen cut open 50 grain v-maxs side by side cut open Noslers. The differences are quite substantial in these two brands makeup.

Youll notice the Nosler has a substantially heavier base. This is a lot of what makes the Nosler a superior design for "larger" animals. That base holds together (ive pulled many little copper discs out of my coyotes....the intact base) and penetrates deeper. It also often holds a "glob" of lead with it, thus maintaining more weight and penetrating bone better. Its tough to see in the photos, but having seen cross sections in my hand of both, the Nosler has a thicker jacket on the lower portion of the bullet, not much, but enough to hold everything together a little longer as it penetrates.

The key IMO, with any ballistic tip and coyotes, is to slow it down some. I shoot the Noslers at around 3650, "slow" for a .22-250. Lots of guys laugh at me when I tell them how fast im pushing them, saying "why so slow you should get 3800 easy out of them". Well, its damn accurate at this speed, and I largely eliminate splash effect on live targets. Faster isnt always better.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

coyotelatrans wrote:Tried the bergers just not a fan. Besides damage isn';t my main concern dead coyotes are, no matter the hit. We all like to place the bullet in the correct spot but we all have times when that doesn't happen, so I choose a bullet that can still deliver in such cases. Most of the damage is minimal; really is, but dead coyotes are the end result far more for ME than using varmint type offerings. If I where fur shooting I wouldn't change a thing. I was surprised when I made the switch a few years back, I thought the damage overall would be much greater than it turned out to be, another benefit from choosing these type of bullet offerings.
My main concern is dead coyotes also, and damage is collateral, not so much externally, but internally. The bergers do a Jello job of the inside. They work plain and simple. I know more Professionals using bergers on coyotes than i can shake a stick at.

I agree with BBJ, the Noslers are a much better bullet design for predators. running 3400fps in my 22-250.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Well I guess that is why we have so many choices :D I have seen what the Nosler Varmint Bal tips do on shoulder shots I don't like the end result, so I made the switch to the heavy jacketed Hunting bal tip for ME much better results, I wouldn't call 3,400 downloaded by any means the bullet doesn't know the difference between 3,400 or 3,700 look at what nosler shows for bullet performance on their own site. They are talking 1,000 FPS difference and what the end result looks like. I have no problem with any bullet makers but I'm going to use something that performs on a consistent basis, Berger fits in again for ME as one of the most inconsistent bullets when it relates to where the bullet makes impact and also the distance of the shot taken. I have seen plenty of people hunt this area with custom rifles and everyone telling them man you have to shoot Berger's for big game, until they do and vary the range and or the shot placement and they really run the gambit of end results. There is a reason the beyond belief people tell everyone about the high shoulder hit is there not? If I where a paper puncher NO doubt Berger's or Hornady A max for sure, but for coyotes again I search for a consistent bullet no matter range or shot placement. When I misjudge wind it is that 3" or so left and right and what does that bullet do then that I'm looking for, plus the fact of perfect pocket shots as well.

Each to there own again as we have many choices and everyone has their idea of a good bullet, if I want to try another it will be a sierra 85 BT HP this is in their game king line and has a better jacket as well, and I know a guy that uses these on coyotes with great results, but I'm partial to a plastic tipped bullet :)
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Yep, tried the 85g HPBT in the 243, works well on coyotes, as does the 85g Game King, and 87g HPBT match, they can also be used on deer with little problem. There are lots of bullets out there that work well, just depends on what you want to shoot. I'm not trying to make a pissing match out of this.

Personally i shoot 155g Lapua's out of my 308 and it does an excellent job, even on marginal hits at extended range. I have the BC, and weight retention to push it out there with the end result in my favor. Anchor and move on!

Yeah, a lot of guys talk about Bergers, being great paper punchers, but they are very consistent bullets when it comes down to animals, they open up every time compared with many of the other bullets out there. Don't get caught up in the fact that it's a "Match" bullet, because they work.

So back to the guy who's asking about the V-max bullets for the 22cal, go pick up a box of Noslers and test them out for yourself. Or better yet go pick up a box of those 52g match and give them a wiz. They work well.

xdeano
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

All I can offer is move up a caliber to the 6mm line up and experience a new world of bullet performance and better coyote efficiency. :D

Not many "match" bullets make consistent game performers, at least what I have found. Match means tighter tolerances bullet to bullet is about all.

In fact I found the length of bergers to vary more so than others with a plastic tip! I tried the 95 grain VLD's and the OAL per bullet varied more than that of a nosler 95 grain bal tip and hornady 85 Interbonds. Even though I use a Hornady bullet comparator, I was surprised when I measured them with a caliper.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

That little difference in length is'nt going to effect the accuracy in most cases as long as the ogive is the same..
I use the plastic tip A-max in my 22-250 ackley cause its a stronger bullet and does very well down range and works pretty good on the longer shots as far as keeping fur damage to a minimum.. I also use a 40 gr. v-max in my 20X47 at the moument but have to keep the bullet strikes in the kill zone or it will get messy.. Waiting for a better bullet to come along though... used plastic tips in a couple other cal. and also have friends that have used them and its pretty much like a coin toss on what the damage is going to be... I suppose I could try down loading the load but then again why not just go to a smaller cartridge so you don't have to, besides I prefer fast and flat as thats what works here for me... For most of my shooting it tuff to beat a good accurate match H.P. bullet...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Not to high jack the thread too much, but has anyone tried the 85 grain Hornady Interbonds for a .243?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Levi I'm in the process of trying them out in my new .243 rifle I have teste loads worked up and waiting for the weather to clear up to get to the range dial them in and try on coyotes!!!!
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Levi I'm in the process of trying them out in my new .243 rifle I have teste loads worked up and waiting for the weather to clear up to get to the range dial them in and try on coyotes!!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

coyotelatrans wrote:Levi I'm in the process of trying them out in my new .243 rifle I have teste loads worked up and waiting for the weather to clear up to get to the range dial them in and try on coyotes!!!!
Please post any results! I have been debating for a few months to switch over and give them a try.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

LeviM wrote:Not to high jack the thread too much, but has anyone tried the 85 grain Hornady Interbonds for a .243?
I worked up a load with the 87 gr. V-maxs for the .243. I think it will be plenty for coyotes and is a DAMN accurate bullet. One of the highest BC's of the 80-90 grain 6mm bullets thats not a VLD.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Tim wrote the amax is a stronger bullet, well Tim maybe by a shade over the V max but nothing you can count on for reliable exspansion. It is a match grade jacket and tolernaces but is really not built for hunting. Look in Hornady product catalog and they show all their bullets and effects you will get on game performance of all bullets except 2 that being the V max and A max your not recovering much of anything from either. Not saying they don't have a purpose they do but for me not on coyotes. I have shot a pile of 52 gr A max from a 22-250, very accurate and they work well if you keep the bullet in the right place, if not well same issue we have been talking about bullet splash and not consistant from shot placement to shot placement.

Bareback I have tried those 87 grains V Max as well same ending splash on shoulders, very accurate but the 85 interbond is darn close to the BC of a 87 V max BC on the 87 V is .400 and the inter bond 85 is .395 in real world shooting there is no differance in BC between those two. I'm hoping the interbond gives me consistant results on coyotes, and I'm sure I can get them dialed in to shoot well. The weather needs to cooperate so I can get to the range!