They Are Still Responding...

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jeck
coyotehunter

They Are Still Responding...

Post by Jeck »

Well, the coyotes are still coming to the call. I usually struggle this time of the season, but this year has been a little different! This is from the last two weekends of calling. Hopefully they are still worth something!

I am going to make a few calls on the way home tomorrow. Maybe I can add a couple more to it.

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: They Are Still Responding...

Post by Coyotehunter »

christ man leave some seed :shock:
Coyotes Forever
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Jeck, nice truck load :D They should still be responding good. I normally hunt hard mid feb to april fools day but this year not as much the fishings been to good :D keep posted
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great Pic!!!! Keep wacking and stacking fella :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

nice truck full!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

hell of a job jeck
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

Yah!! Great job! I've worked the last 13 out of 15 days and have not been out. Hearing each outing results
.... this stretch can't get over fast enough! One more shift and its on! I've got some catching up in the numbers department. :). Coyotehunter, there are still plenty out there for seed!
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

-
Thanks guys!

Well, I headed out after work tonight and this time I brought a friend along from work. We were headed out to an area to make our first call. He spotted three coyotes out in the field. We parked down wind of them and snuck within 400-500 yds of the rock pile he spotted them at. Before I started to call... we agree that we will take which ever coyote is on our side. I started to call and about 4 minutes into it... one pops over the ridge about 200 yds away. A second one also appears as the lead one circled to our right. The one on the left is now about 150 yds. I have him in my crosshairs, but I told my buddy to take the shot at his when he has it. We have been out calling a few times this year, and it seems like the coyotes are always giving me the shots. So, I wanted him to take the first crack. We were both laying down, one on each side of a power pole. His coyote kept circling and he didnt quite have a shot. I was just waiting, trying not to grip the rifle to tight. My plan was to shoot as soon as he pulled the trigger... before my coyote had a chance to react. His coyote stopped and he shot and dropped it. I touched off my shot a split second after he shot and dropped my coyote. I was damn surprised I hit it. :) It is hard to control the flinch when someone pulls the trigger only a few feet away from you. Not bad we had a double and just started for the evening.

As I sat up, I could see the third coyote standing out there at a little over 300 yds. I tried calling him back in, but he wasn't interested. He ran a little higher on the hill, giving us a clear shot at him. We did the shoot on 1-2- shoot on 3 for a double two weekends ago, so we decided to try it again on this single. We both set up on him and on 3 we pulled the trigger. Bam he went down also. So, we just started for the evening and had 3 coyotes down.

We made a couple more unsuccessful stands. On our last stand I called one in to 135 yds. My buddy set up to take the shot, but It was getting pretty dark and it was difficult to see. He had a tough time seeing his crosshairs. So, he put the coyote in the center of the scope and let one fly. No luck on that one. So, we let one get away. Can't get them all. Anyway, it was another fun night of calling after work.

I could get used to seeing these drag marks behind me in the snow... a little more often!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great story and post Jeck!!! I love the photo too :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Thats BAD ASS man, that plan allmost never work out does it.....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

Nope... it never seems to work like that. To be honest - I was surprised it did! Even my buddy said, how the hell did you shoot that quick. I told him I was steady, waiting and holding on the coyote. Just waiting for him to go bang. It just so happened my coyote was just standing quartering towards me. If he would have been moving, it wouldn't have worked.

We got a double that we snuck in on two weekends ago. It was kind of a similar situation... we were moving in to position to start calling a double we had spotted bedded behind a rock pile. As we were getting to our spot, they decided to get up and walk to us. We were stuck behind a rock pile. So we just sat and let them come. They passed in front of us and both stopped at 100-150 yds. He said lets shoot on 3. We just recently started hunting together... so I wasn't used to the shoot on 3 idea. He told me to count it. I said one, two, and he went bang. I was thinking it was 1, 2, 3, bang. So, he went bang... and it surprised the hell out of me. I was able to keep my coyote in the sights and shot a split second after he did... before my coyote had a chance to react. It was boom....whop..boom....whop! That one surprised me that I got lucky and made that shot. That is why I figured on this one... I would lay there with it steady in the sights and wait for him to squeeze off the shot. At least this time I knew the shot was coming and could follow up right after his. Probably 95% luck involved in making it work, but it did twice now. I am sure I will try it 10 times before it ever works again. :)