Is .22-250 the BEST gun for coyotes?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DustyC

Re: Is .22-250 the BEST gun for coyotes?

Post by DustyC »

My opinion is go with the bolt gun. I have a buddy that had a encore and he got a barrel in 22-6mmAI and you can't load them as hot as a bolt gun. The reason is, all that holds the barrel is a little pin not like a bolt when you lock the lugs, it's there to stay.
"God hates a coward"
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

DustyC wrote:My opinion is go with the bolt gun. I have a buddy that had a encore and he got a barrel in 22-6mmAI and you can't load them as hot as a bolt gun. The reason is, all that holds the barrel is a little pin not like a bolt when you lock the lugs, it's there to stay.
I have the newer Encore as opposed to the Contender which from my understanding can handle more pressure. Pressure isn't really a concern for me though I typically use factory ammo, though I'm 95% of the way to beginning (note I said beginning!) reloading. Although I am leaning towards a bolt gun so I can have quicker follow up shots, the only reason I hesitate is I'm getting hard pressed to find room for all my guns and a new T/C barrel takes up less space. There's Pro's and cons of each, we'll see what off season sales I can get :P That decides many purchases, in fact it's why I've got some guns I have, they were the right price at the right time... If I was already back stateside I'd have already gotten the barrel cause I found some good deals, but I won't be there to inspect it for several months. The other allure of the barrel is I can just order that sucker off the net, but I have to go to a store and get a full rifle. Maybe I can find a good used rifle for cheap...
Keep your powder dry.
The Duke
coyotehunter

Post by The Duke »

Not one of you have mentioned the 223! Must be a reason that none of you have a Remington 700 in 223? How about 223?
Best regards,
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

223 rem.= :lol:
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I've made a handful of coyotes very dead with the 223 using 50 grain ballistic tips. It will do the job. The bigger 22's just do it a bit better. It's worth noting that I don't worry about hide damage.

lead
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

.223 was good in its day. there are just better options out there for coyotes these days. don't want to affend anyone though. shoot them if you got them.
Coyotes Forever
BigN
coyotehunter

Post by BigN »

Any gun you have is a great coyote gun, provided it's fairly accurate. I have 11 guns I use for coyotes. I start the season with a 204 (minimum caliber I'll use on coyotes) when I get one with that, I move up the rack to the next larger caliber, so on and so on. By the time I use my 300 WSM, I go back to the 204 and start over. I average 16 coyotes per year so it gets all the guns used, mixes it up a bit, and is fun in general.
buckhunter24_7
coyotehunter

Post by buckhunter24_7 »

220 swift for me. Just a 22-250 with a little extra i guess.