Is .22-250 the BEST gun for coyotes?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

CoyoteAssassin

Is .22-250 the BEST gun for coyotes?

Post by CoyoteAssassin »

Is a .22-250 the best gun for coyote hunting? I've heard a few people talking about them and how much they like them but I'd like to hear opinions from some more people.

Also I'd like to hear what kind of gun you use and like best even if it is a different caliber than a .22-250.

:D THANKS :D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Is .22-250 the BEST gun for coyotes?

Post by Tim Anderson »

I don't believe there is a best cal. as everyone has different needs...
I shoot mostly 17 rem.s (center fire), 17 Pred., 20X47, 22-250 ackley.. Each one has its use..
I use a 17 Mach-4 mainly for Red fox. And the 17 rem. for snipeing fox or calling coyotes. The 17 Pred. and 20x47 for called coyotes or hunted coyotes and the 22-250 ackly for the longer shots if needed..... I used a 6mm HLS for a short time but could'nt find a decent 6mm bullet so I stopped useing it.. I'm mostly interested in keeping the hide damage to a minimum and useing a cartridge that shoots fast and flat and thats the reason for my choices of cal. used...
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

if i HAD to pick 1 cartridge for coyotes it would be a 250
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I would pick .243
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

IF i had to get nailed down to one, it would be the 250.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

If I could only have one coyote gun, it would be in .22-250. Theres a reason it is the standard "varmint" caliber all others are compared to. I think for a balance of range, knockdown power, and fur friendliness, its tough to beat a 250 with tailored handloads. My .22-250 is my bread and butter "go to" gun.

It is nice to have something bigger though for long pokes and high winds. I used to shoot a .308 too, just switched to a .260 so am anxious to draw some blood with it. Also got a tack driving load with 87 grain V-maxs worked up for a Win model 70 featherweight in .243 that may just become my "windy day" calling gun.
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

for only coyotes I would have to pick the .243.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Yep put me into that 6mm and more so the .243 catagory. You get bigger bullets and better BC with the 6mm offerings, slower speeds than the 250 but plenty flat enough for all practical coyote shooting ranges and far better bullet selection for something the size of a coyote body weight and mass. A coyotes is not a varmint per say, I put them more into a small deer frame when it comes to body mass and the ability to take poor shot placement and keep on going. The .243 is a very versitile caliber you can load it light or heavy faster or slower and it still performs well. Bullet choices far better IMO over the 250 very important aspect to me. I don;t worry about shooting p-dogs with it, it is a larger predator caliber and in that light it shines very well. Most factory .243's are great shooters and not very picky either, no need to buy custom die sets, fireform brass, buy after market barrels, at least not for coyotes IMO of course.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

hell I got one of each...........love both of them. If I could own only one gun the .243 would be a real good choice.
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do shoot my .22-6MM custom exclusivley for coyotes..........kind of a high bred of both calibers.
Coyotes Forever
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

WOW..Tim it sure seems like a lot of work to carry all those guns with you :D 22-250 for me :D good at 5 yds and 500+ yds
a proud member of the "IF" team
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][/WOW..Tim it sure seems like a lot of work to carry all those guns with you 22-250 for me good at 5 yds and 500+ ydsquote]

Not really.. I just keep 2 or 3 in the truck and grab the one I need at the time.. Back when I hunted red fox hard I let the ground conditions and the lay of the land determin which gun I was going to use at the time. Same can be said when out calling coyotes, if I hunt a ranch were the coyotes are a bit spooked from the ranchers kids chaseing them around or perhaps there is a bit of a wind I may step up in Cal...
Some times I may have two of the same cal. along with the only difference is one has a bigger scope on for longer shots.. Aim small, miss small....
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I shoot a 22-6mm for all my coyote work but if i had to stick with one caliber only it would the 243 (talking standard calibers) fairly fur friendly and with the right twist and shooting a large bullet you can shoot a long ways.

I would say there has been more coyotes killed with a 250 than any other caliber however.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I wouild agree that the .22-.250 is a great everyday, every condition coyote gun
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

In my opinion they all have there time and place. I like my 250, but i wouldn't hesitate to jump up to a .243.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!