Beaver

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Re: Beaver

Post by RandyRoede »

It can get dangerous real quick, especially if your on the first water with ice still coming down. It's amazing how much force water has during a flood. Then throw in massive chunks of ice!!

Lots of guys using to small of boats and not enough motor to get out of jams etc. You get caught cross ways and that water will suck you right under. We ran an impellar sp? out of our motor once. No water going thru the motor so it was running hot. We beached that thing right away and started the long walk out vs. risking going back down stream with the risk of having no motor when we might need it. Blistered up my heels walking for miles in hip boots. Good thing was we were doing it in the may june timeframe so it was decent temps.

We've got a 16 foot jon boat, wide and deep, with a 25 horse on it that handles flood water real well.

Anybody know the details of the latest accident?
Randy Roede
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Bad deal. Prayers to there families. Like you said Randy things can go bad really quick even if you have been doing it for years.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... /homepage/
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Thats what the sheriff said. Recovering the bodies was real tricky due to the amount of ice and wood debris boiling through. Im trapping that river right now and dont think you could pay me to go out in a boat on it right now, severe bends in the river are still ice jammed, lots of big chunks still.

Thermometer said the water was 41 degrees, you dont last long in water at that temp.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

One never thinks it will happen to them, But heres a reallity check for all of us :(
a proud member of the "IF" team
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

well said t
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Be careful out there mitch and marty!! Here is the first batch i was told :shock: There are 102 beaver in the pile, and 101 got skun in 6 hours by two guys (bullshitting and a couple beers included in the 6 hours :mrgreen: )

BEAVER MEAT ANYONE????
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I started setting traps Friday. And all weekend that Johnny Cash song was playing in my head....."how highs the water momma, two foot high and rising".

We needed rain like a third tit.
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

WOW let mitch know he may have 100 more by this weekend they got 16 last night we may try to hit the white earth tonight after work. That could be a 20 beaver run and there is a lot more to kill on are river.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Marty - make sure mitch keeps snow on them as much as he can. Some of them had pretty green bellies on them. I will be more than happy to do another 100 again(i think we barely got to them in time). Keep wacking and stacking and i might make a run this weekend to meet again :D
Chris Lyon

snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

ok
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

you selling the meat??? should be a market for that..I got a guy you can call if need be...........he might buy it. just south of Williston.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

jamie - I skun all the beaver, and the only market i could find, was a buck a carcass. It would have cost me money to run them back to fargo and drop them off for a buck a carcass, plus i would of had to gut every one of them too and cut the heads off. I have kept the tails though and am making a coyote lure out of them :D I will have some lure ready by the end of the summer. Let me know if you are interested in trying some out.
Chris Lyon

snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

jamie i think that guy has plenty right now but i could try him
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I would love to have those beaver for bear bait but I don't have a grinder that can handle the bones and all :( anyway I'm flooded out at the lodge. THATS a hell of alot of work skinning beaver (my least favorite) what are they worth??
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Terry, i am not sure what williston beaver are worth on the market right now. I know they don't have the preffered pelt color. the castor at the moment, is going for roughly $45 a pound. The average pelt, i am thinking will be $12-$15 tops. If i had a grinder that would handle the bones and everything, i would be more than happy to just push them through (but would have to find a walk in freezer to store the ground meat) for the bear hunters. A beaver in my opinion is one of the easiest critters to put most of the animal to use.
Chris Lyon